Please sign in to post.

Chamonix in Fall of 2016

I am planning a trip to Chamonix in October of 2016 for some serious alpine hiking. Looking for input on my must see / must do list while I am there. We will be staying at the L'heloptic which I believe is very near to the cable car to Aiguille du Midi. Pretty sure that belongs on the list.

Also, while we are there, I want to do a day trip to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn. Need to know if this is doable for a day trip or if I should be spending the night in Zermatt.
Thanks in advance!

Posted by
57 posts

i would recommend an over night in zermatt. it's a lovely car free town and because of the drive and the train required to get to zermatt i wouldn't think it do-able in a day.

BUT, i haven't been in over 10 years so maybe my memory isn't correct.

Posted by
3391 posts

If you don't mind a VERY long day then Chamonix to Zermatt for the day is barely doable. Plan on about 4 hours up and 4 hours back, obviously requiring an early start and a late return well after dark. The biggest risk is the weather...if it is cloudy or rainy then you have spent a very long day for nothing. I would, at the very least, spend the night paying close attention to the weather forecast and waiting for a clear day. If it were me, this is what I would do.
When in Chamonix make sure to hike up to Lac Blanc...one of the great views of the world over the French Alps. Stunning!

Posted by
32206 posts

dz,

Chamonix is definitely the spot for "serious alpine hiking". Yes, Hôtel l'Héliopic is very close to the Aguille du Midi cable car station, but you can stay anywhere as the town is very walkable.

I'd suggest having a look at a couple of guidebooks to determine the "must see / must do" items that appeal most to you. If you're more adventurous and your budget will allow, you could always do some tandem paragliding while there.

IMO, a trip to the Aguille du Midi definitely belongs on the list and at the top you can stand on the glass "Over the Void" platform and look at the view many hundreds of feet down to the rocks! However, note that the top level is at about 12K feet, so if you have any "altitude issues", that could be a problem.

You could also take the Panoramic Mont Blanc across to Helbronner (Italy) over the glaciers, and that lift system is one of the longest in the world without support towers. From Helbronnner you can either just stop there for awhile and have lunch, or go down to Courmayeur for a brief look. There are lots of options in that area, so your only limits will be time and money.

Another activity is Montenvers and the Mer-de-Glace ice caves.

Regarding a "day trip" to Zermatt, as a previous reply indicated that's not really practical due to the travel times involved. The trip is about four hours each way with a minimum of two changes. Also as mentioned, you could find the Matterhorn shrouded in clouds when you arrive, which would make the entire trip useless.