Please sign in to post.

Chamonix for 2 nights with 3 adults and 2 children age 12

We plan to arrive in Chamonix on June 28 and spend two nights. Could anyone recommend a moderately priced hotel/B&B that can accommodate such a group?

Posted by
32219 posts

Jan,

Are you looking for one room for the entire group? What price range and comfort level are you looking for?

I've stayed at the Hotel Le Chamonix and found it very comfortable. It's an older, somewhat rustic building but clean and comfortable, and in a great location. They do offer 3 and 4 person rooms, and may be able to supply a cot or whatever for one of the children. You might have a look at the RS France guidebook as there are a number of good hotels listed there.

Are you planning to take the cable car to the Aguille du Midi?

Posted by
101 posts

We could do either one or two rooms. The website for Hotel Chamonix listed very high room rates. Yes we are hoping to take the cable car to Aguille du Midi and if possible the little cable cars to Italy and back.

Posted by
782 posts

Try Hotel L'Arve,it is on the river in the old town,we stayed there in early May 2017 and it was a 10 to 15 Minute walk to the Agile du Midi Lift.
Mike

Posted by
32219 posts

Jan,

Thanks for the additional information. One very important caveat to mention is that the Aguille du Midi is at an elevation of ~12,605 feet (3842 M) and that elevation could be a problem for some people, including the elderly and children. It would be prudent to have a chat with your Doctor about that, and also familiarize yourself with the signs & symptoms so that you'll be able to recognize problems quickly.

If you take the Panoramic Mont Blanc across to Pointe Helbronner you'll be at elevation for a longer period of time, which could increase the likelihood of altitude-related problems. Were you planning to return to the Aguille after your visit to Pointe Helbronner?

In the meantime, you may enjoy this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5i62ehpZ_M .

Posted by
771 posts

I responded to your same query on the France Reviews section, and also suggested Hotel deL'Arve, with a link to their website. At that point they had one family room available, but I see that is not really an issue. They are a nice family hotel, close to the center of town.

Posted by
27 posts

Hotel de L'Arve is on the banks of the L'Arve River and they have connecting rooms - alpine theme, close to all amenities; wouldn't recommend La Grotte de Glace (ice cave) as when I was there in September 2018 there were 460 steps down and 460 steps back up - most people with children gave up halfway; take the gondolas up and down for Aiguille du Midi as the hiking trails in September had been damaged by rock slides and several in our group got "lost" while climbing over rocks as they couldn't find the marked paths; one fun thing for children would be to take the cogwheel train to Montenvers - not visit the ice cave but see the town and lunch at the hotel - views from the train are wonderful (catch the train at Gare du Montenvers)