Please sign in to post.

Chambord or Chenonceau

We are a party of 5 that includes an artist, two college students studying art/architecture, and 2 mature women who love to tour. If you could only visit one, which would you choose Chambord or Chenonceau?

Posted by
7025 posts

Chenonceau absolutely. It has everything - art, architecture, romantic setting, intriguing history.

Posted by
749 posts

Chenonceau. We take visitors to Chenonceau most weeks, Chambord we try not to visit at all if possible. It's a long way to drive in an old car, and at the moment even the view of the outside is marred by the scaffolding.

Posted by
875 posts

Chenonceaux 100%. Beautiful both inside and out, intimate. Very easy to see early if you base in Amboise.

Chambord is BIG, and still felt crowded in late afternoon. Chambord felt more like visiting Versailles or something. I mean, it was amazing and I would recommend it, but I found it less enjoyable than other chateaux.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Chenonceau was our first choice and now the clear winner.

Posted by
1820 posts

Chambourd is immense and is an impressive site as you drive up, but for beauty, placement and the gardens I would choose Chenonceau every time.

Posted by
873 posts

Chenonceau by far….was there a year ago and scaffolding is everywhere at Chambord……Chenonceau’s florist put fresh flowers in the chateau daily and they are incredible……its rooms are amazing……after being wowed by the physical size of Chambord you get inside and the rooms are cold…..

Posted by
10205 posts

Chenonceau is my favorite. Enough so that I’ve been there twice.

Posted by
1967 posts

Chenonceau is the winner, but Chambord anyway worth driving by to see it from the outside.

Posted by
4300 posts

If you can, visit Chenonceau in the late afternoon. It was really peaceful when we did that. Check the hours-I think they stay open later in the summer.

Posted by
9420 posts

I love them both but Chenonceau is my all time favorite. They have a café there with outdoor seating looking right at the chateau, and very good food. And the grounds are lovely, where “the servants” lived, and more. I’ve been more times than i can count and i recommend getting there when they open. Less people and the light is amazing. I’ve spent whole days there, it’s that wonderful. The walk from entrance to chateau is beautiful.

Posted by
7025 posts

Does anybody know if there's still black swans at Chenonceau? I was there many many years ago (1997) and I love the photos I took of them. I also agree about walking to the entrance down the road lined with plane trees, it was amazing.

Posted by
9420 posts

We were there this past Sept and didn’t see any swans at all.

Posted by
10205 posts

I was there in October and may have seen white swans. I definitely didn’t see black swans.

Posted by
482 posts

Another vote for Chenonceau. It's a very relatable chateau. I can picture myself living there each time we've visited.