Please sign in to post.

Cell phone in France and Italy

Normally we wait until we get to Italy to buy a SIM card for our cell phone but this trip we want a phone during our whole trip (9 days France then 9 days Italy). If we buy a SIM card in France can we add more money to it in Italy or will we have to buy a whole new SIM card in Italy? And if we use our French SIM card in Italy will it be a lot more expensive than getting an Italian SIM card in Italy? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Posted by
833 posts

It is probably better to buy another SIM card in Italy. I'm not aware of any local providers in France (I'm not including the larger international SIM card companies) that are also companies in Italy, and probably won't be able to reload it while in Italy. Here are your options
- Load up your French SIM card and hope that it is enough to get you through Italy. However, you are likely to pay more per minute/text because of roaming.
- Purchase a new SIM card in Italy - it will be cheaper to use in Italy and you will be able to reload easily.

I would recommend just buying an Italian SIM card. Last time I bought one from TIM, it was 10€ and included 5€ of credit. That is probably going to be cheaper than using a French one with the roaming charges.

Posted by
96 posts

Thanks Devon. I was thinking the same thing. Normally we rent an apartment in Paris for a week and have free use of the phone in the apartment but this time we're taking a French road trip so we'll need a phone.

Posted by
16893 posts

Roaming charges have been reduced a bit in the past year or so, but are still a factor. Buy what you think you need for France and just see how far it gets you if you still have time left after crossing the border. You don't really need to buy a new one until the old runs out.