Please sign in to post.

CDG to Strasbourg

Arriving from JFK at 6:35 a.m. on AA flight. Planning on taking train from CDG T2 at 8:59 a.m. to Strasbourg. We have have to retrieve our checked luggage, clear customs etc. and then off to train departure location Could instead choose an 11:23 a.m. train to Strasbourg . Will we have enough time to comfortably make the 8:59 a.m. train or should we choose the 11:23 a.m.?

Posted by
133 posts

I think you should be able to catch the 8:59 am train.

Peak travel season has passed and lines are relatively short for early AM flights.

Also When we booked on SNCF , we opted for the fair class that let us change dates/times.

Posted by
2391 posts

If you are positive your trans-Atlantic flight won't be delayed, it might be enough time.
I'm pretty risk adverse and would chose the later train. I don't think airport issues have been completely resolved.

Posted by
5687 posts

I had to make this exact choice once at CDG a few years back. My layover was even shorter than yours, though I had only carry-on bags. It's definitely a risk booking the earlier train - anything could happen, an hour delay with the flight, long line at immigration (probably no delay through customs), etc.

I had to ask: what happens if I miss the train? I take the 11:23a. Is that going to cost a lot? Can I change the ticket I had to take the later train? (Can I still change the 8:59a if I land at CDG after it leaves or try to change it online ahead of time? I planned just to go to a ticket window at the CDG train station and try to change at whatever penalty was required...but everything was on time for me. And yes, if your plane lands on time too (could be early even), you should have plenty of time to make it.

Just know ahead of time what happens if you miss that earlier train, be willing to accept any penalty you might pay, and you'll be fine. Or...just wait until you land and book it last-minute and pay the high last minute fare if you don't want to stress over it.

Posted by
1439 posts

You can buy your CDG to Strasbourg TGV ticket online in advance with the new guidelines that even the least expensive Prem's tickets are exchangeable for a new ticket up to 30 minutes before the train departs. Be sure to print out the ticket or have your travel partner take a photo of it just in case you need to do that.
www.sncf--connect.com.

Posted by
138 posts

If I'm reading the comments about allowed changes correctly, you could book the 11:23 and then change to the 8:59 if the timing was working that day.

Posted by
6907 posts

If I'm reading the comments about allowed changes correctly, you could book the 11:23 and then change to the 8:59 if the timing was working that day.

Exactly, as long as the train isn't full.
You'd pay €15/person on top of the fare difference, but it could be worth it.