Please sign in to post.

CDG to St. Lazare

My wife and I will be flying into CDG direct from SLC, Utah and want to take a train to Rouen to begin our trip and rent our car(we will end in Paris). As someone who has never dealt with travel in a big city, I find the multiple train stations a tad confusing. It seems we must go from CDG to Gare du Nord to Gare St. Lazare to Rouen. Does this sound correct? Or should we just take a taxi to Gare St. Lazare? Is there a big cost difference? We are in our mid-thirties and would like to think we can navigate this with a little help from this group. Also, how long approximately would it take to get off the plane at CDG and get to the correct train station to go to Rouen? Thanks.

Posted by
8063 posts

I would not book a train from Paris on arrival day without a 4 hour window. It takes about an hour to get through immigration (variable depending on how many other jumbo jets are in before you) and about an hour to get into the city. (the ticket line for RER tickets if your cc won't work in the machines could add another hour) It would cost 20 Euro by train and you would go to Gare du Nord on the RER then walk to the Magenta RER stop connected to Nord and go to St. Lazare. If you do this be sure you are pickpocket proof (as you always must be traveling on the metro or RER or in public places) Since you have all your stuff with you and are perhaps jet lagged, be sure you keep your valuables like computer bag or purse in your control at all times -- don't set them down on a seat or at your feet -- and don't carry valuables in your pockets. In transit is a good time for the money belt.

Planes don't always arrive on time -- in the last 10 trips 8 of ours have arrived late -- one by 5 hours -- most by from half to an hour -- and sometimes immigration and luggage arrival is very slow. If your credit card doesn't work in the ticket machine you have to stand in line; the last time we needed to use the ticket window for the RER at CDG, we were in line for nearly an hour.

The tickets to Rouen will be cheapest by a lot 3 mos in advance but those are PREMS which you can print at home but which disappear in value if you arrive late.

I would probably take a cab directly to St. Lazare, but the rails stations are very well signed and you can follow the signing to the platform you need at Magenta. It will be a little trickier to find the train platform at St. Lazare but those are announced on a board about 20 minutes before departure. A cab will be about 55 Euro.

Posted by
32212 posts

michael,

The least expensive transportation between CDG and Saint-Lazare is likely via RER. This is one route you could follow....

• RER "B" from CDG to Gare du Nord
  • Walk to the connected Magenta station
  • RER "E" from Magenta to Hausmann Saint-Lazare
  • Walk to the connected Saint-Lazare station

The RER "B" has had a bit of a reputation lately for thefts, and the criminals are likely taking advantage of the fact that people riding from the airport are jet lagged and not paying attention. If you're vigilant, you shouldn't have any problems.

There's also an alternate route that involves RER for the first part and Metro to Saint-Lazare. It's also very easy. You may find it helpful to have a look at the excellent Paris By Train website.

Posted by
1005 posts

Michael,
The easiest solution is to rent your car at CDG at drive to Rouen. You are already on the north side of Paris when you arrive, so you can avoid the city and its nasty ring road (the Périphérique). Save the trains for another trip.

Posted by
16893 posts

I wouldn't buy the Paris-Rouen train tickets in advance, since trains run about hourly and don't otherwise require reservations. The price difference in 2nd class is 10 euros per person for a non-changeable Prems fare, versus 24 euros per person to buy in the station before boarding.

Posted by
237 posts

Michael: Since you will be flying in direct from SLC, it is likely that you will be somewhat jet-lagged. I don't know what your level of proficiency in French is, but even though you can get by in English, the fact that you are in a foreign country and exposed to a different language can be stressful. Given that, and your admission that you have never dealt with travel in a big city, it doesn't seem prudent to rent a car at CDG and drive to Rouen. Several posters have already given good advice concerning the cheapest way to Gare St. Lazare and the approximate times to do so. However, since I am sensing some degree of trepidation for this multi-faceted transportation evolution, for your peace of mind and to ensure you are getting your trip off to a good start, go ahead and spend more and take a taxi to the train station. Just go in and buy tickets for the next train to Rouen--as Laura has pointed out, there really isn't a big difference in cost between a discounted ticket purchased early and one at the time of travel. I believe the added expense outweighs the aggravation and any potential anxiety. Bottom Line: Do what you need to do to start off on the right foot! Enjoy your travels and have fun!

Posted by
8063 posts

Agree with Darrel. And particularly don't drive after an overnight flight. Those of you who do this may not care about your own families but please don't put the rest of us at risk.

Posted by
6522 posts

Laura is right about not buying the Paris-Rouen ticket ahead, and Darrel and Janet are right about the choice of a taxi from CDG to Gare St-Lazare. Ken gives you the best rail options within Paris, but in this case I'd spring for the taxi to save time and stress.

Now if you can explain the street-name system in SLC and the rest of Utah..... ;-)

Posted by
544 posts

The train stations are confusing! It's not just you. Google wasn't much help either. Ken's directions are excellent. I had the best luck with using ratp.fr for transit around Paris instead of Google Maps.

Posted by
14521 posts

yes, the train stations can be confusing. Of course, you navigate getting from Nord to Gare St Lazare. It's best not to miss a sign, But we can't always help that. Just be alert to the signs, where they are placed, don't rush, and pay attention. I don't use and rely on google maps. Taking the RER "B" from CDG is direct to Nord. After that it's a matter of following the signs, using the suggested route above. Forget the rental car, no need for that extra expense.