Please sign in to post.

CDG to Gare du Nord

After attempting some research, I'd appreciate input on two questions, please.

1. We're flying into CDG from the U.S. next week (a Thursday morning) and need to get ourselves to Gare du Nord. It seems that we can either take a RER B train from the airport or a Roissy bus? It seems that the latter is a longer trip but would let us see more of the city? Other pros/cons?
  2. If our plane lands at 8:00 a.m., how long will it take two jet-lagged travelers to get our luggage, go through customs/immigration, and get ourselves on the train/bus? (Like others in this Forum, we're curious what time we might make it to our Airbnb.)

(Thanks to whomever posted this awhile back; it's helpful! https://parisbytrain.com/charles-de-gaulle-airport-cdg-to-paris-by-train/ )

Posted by
13905 posts

Is your Air BnB near Gare du Nord?

I used to assume it would take me 3 hours from the time I stepped off the plane to getting out of a taxi in front of my hotel. Last Fall Immigration was not busy and it literally took minutes to get thru but it's really dependent on how many planes land at the same time.

I've not taken the Roissy bus but the ride in from the airport in a taxi (so assume much of the same route) is really not anything spectacular.

Posted by
2542 posts
  1. The Roissybus is not convenient for anyone going to the Gare du Nord area. Either take the RER B, (10.30 euros) or taxi (53 euros).

2. Anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes, depending upon the crowds at passport control. Allow 1 hour to reach Paris, 30 minutes to Gare du Nord on the RER B.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for answering, Pam!
Yes, our Airbnb is a 10-minute walk from Gare du Nord; it's partly why I chose it for our two nights (the other reason: we're taking the Eurostar to London).

We'll hope for the best on minimizing our airport time, but are prepared to roll with whatever happens!

Posted by
8 posts

We'll plan for the RER, @Tocard! Thanks for the response.

Posted by
3159 posts

Or for about €3 you could take the 45 minute ride on the N143 bus.

Posted by
8 posts

That's the option I meant, Philip! (not Roissy).

I'd love to hear thoughts on whether the N143 bus would be more interesting than the train (or more inconvenient, given our luggage). I haven't been to Paris -- or Europe at all -- for nearly 15 years so am finding it hard to trust my own judgement. :-)

Posted by
6883 posts

N143 is a night bus only. There is a daytime bus, 350 or 351 IIRC, but it takes forever and it is aimed towards airport staff. Not recommended.
And honestly:
- There is very little of interest between the airport and Gare du Nord
- RER B travels on the surface most of the way, so you will see...whatever there is to see on the way.

Posted by
6487 posts

The ride into Paris from CDG is interesting in places but not very scenic or interesting enough to factor into your choice. RER is cheaper and faster, but less convenient, than a taxi taking you right to your ABnB. And the price comparison is the taxi vs. two or more RER tickets, not one.

Posted by
9549 posts

The bus is not something you want to do. If the RER is operating normally that morning, it will be far faster (and easier to figure out) than any bus. Especially since you are literally looking to go to the Gare du Nord area.

Posted by
9549 posts

P.s. as you will be jet-lagged, make sure your valuables are SECURED under your clothes with a money belt, and hold your luggage tight.

Posted by
14500 posts

I always take the RER "B" after a non-stop flight from SFO, usually landing between 10-11 am. Going through border control usually takes at best 20 mins or up to one hour. If it's under 30 mins I hardly even notice it.

The RER from CDC only stops at Gare du Nord, it's direct and convenient since I stay in a small hotel right in that vicinity, ie, no need to take the Metro or the bus with luggage in tow when I get to Gare du Nord.

Posted by
4510 posts

The RER from CDG only stops at Gare du Nord

Some trains make many stops along the way. Some of these stops are dodgy. If there are regular express trains then wait for one of those.

Posted by
3688 posts

As mentioned above the N143 is a night bus so unless you are arriving at 3:30 AM or so, it is not an option. I think the 350 bus route which I have taken and which used used to end at Gare de l'Est now ends at Port de la Chapelle. So, that's not the best idea for getting to Gare du Nord.

Posted by
14500 posts

Only stopping at Gare du Nord I am referring to its arrival in Paris by the RER "B." I should have been more specific.

Posted by
9549 posts

The RER from CDC only stops at Gare du Nord,

Only stopping at Gare du Nord I am referring to its arrival in Paris by the RER "B."

This isn't correct. Most RER B trains stop at all sorts of stops along the way. A few go direct without the interim stops, and I consider myself lucky when I end up on one.