Please sign in to post.

CDG to Gare De Lyon

By RER train, there are two below options to change the RER B line for Gare De Lyon station
1. Gare Du Nord by RER B Line to Line D
2. Chatalet-Les Halles -Line A or Line D or Metro Line 14
Which option is better and easier? We are coming to Paris first time not very familiar with trains and platform systems.

How does taxi work out? Where can I catch taxi?. I have heard a lot of bad stories about Taxi drivers in Paris. Is it safe to be in taxi?

As per the plan, we would be catching train or taxi around 11:15 AM during weekday and we will have about 3 hours to catch our train from Gare De Lyon.

Posted by
8050 posts

Where have you heard these 'bad stories about taxi drivers in Paris'? I have used Paris taxis for 35 years and never had a bad experience. Now they are on a fixed fare from CDG to anywhere in Paris (50 left bank and 55 right bank) so there isn't even the possibility of getting the long ride. (we have also never gotten the 'long ride' -- Paris is complicated and cabbies know the ins and outs of one way streets and such and an apparently circuitous route may be the best and quickest one)

Safe? I have never heard a story of an unsafe taxi.

There are official taxi ranks at the airport and every train station; never take a taxi from someone who approaches you -- those are scammers.

In taking the train I'd go RER to RER probably at Nord. This is easier and avoids stairs. And train is probably fastest.

Posted by
14 posts

janettravels44
Thanks for the info. Are these prepaid taxies or you need to pay after your ride? How is traffic around 11:30AM on weekday?

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks Chris. The map is very clear and helpful. It appears that you don't have to walk. Just come out of the train and get the train from the adjacent line.

Posted by
2466 posts

There are fixed rates for Parisian taxis from the airports, depending on your address. You pay when you get out of the taxi. Fixed rate is either 55 or 50 € for
4 passengers and luggage.
Follow overhead signs to official Taxi stand.
Traffic will be pretty bad at that hour...

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks chexbres
I was anticipating that traffic will be smooth after 11:30 AM on weekday. Now i am surprised to know that it is bad around that time. At what time during the day the road traffic is smooth on the CDG to Gare De Lyon route

Posted by
10188 posts

That route is a congested road most of the day, so you can never predict when you'll hit a slow down. Yes, rush hour will be over, but if you want to get to Gare de Lyon fast and easily, the RER is your best bet. When is it congestion free? Sunday mornings and after 9 p.m. I try to fly to France on Saturdays so I arrive Sunday mornings in order to avoid the congestion.

Also, when you get the RER at CDG, be sure to take one that is listed "Express" and not "Omnibus", even if you have to wait. The omnibus stops at every stop, whereas the express goes straight from CDG to Gare du Nord.

Posted by
14 posts

Does all RER B trains-Express and Slow train from CDG arrive on the same platform of Gare Du Nord?

Posted by
14507 posts

If you are at Gare du Nord, there is also the option of taking the bus # 65 to Gare de Lyon, With luggage taking the RER "D" is the easiest. Gare de Lyon can reached by bus, RER and Metro from Nord.

Posted by
10188 posts

Yes, the express and slower RERs use the same platform. Lit signs distinguish them.

Posted by
7209 posts

I would never use the Chatelet Metro interchange for a new-comer to Paris. It is THE busiest metro station in the world. I made the mistake of traveling through that station on my way to catch a flight from ORY. I kid you not - EVERY train that stopped in the station was absolutely packed to the hilt with people. And on top of that they were squeezed in like sardines. Now just imagine you have to get not only your body but your luggage onto that packed train car, too as well as the rest of your family. I learned my lesson the hard way - hopefully you can learn from my mistake.