Please sign in to post.

CDG Airport to Paris

Hello,
My First visit to Paris. Female traveling along. I'm reading about the best advise for travel from airport to my apartment in Rue de Poissy near Notre Dame. Is it best to take a cab and suck up the 50Euros or navigate the train? I'll be arriving at 7:OO from the States.

Thanks so much!

Posted by
11 posts

I did this on Monday.
I spent a bit longer in the airport getting my Navigo Pass sorted out. The Navigo Pass I got was for all 5 zones that gets you all the way to Versailles. This pass requires a photo. If you want to be able to use it for more than a day (mine was a week because the monthly goes from the 19th of the month to the 20th or something to that effect). These start on Monday and end on Sunday. You reload them at any Metro station for an additional 22.50e.

It's good for buses, RER, trains and Metros. So, really it's a great way to get around.
If you want this, follow the signs for the trains RER & Paris B. THIS PHOTO TOUR IS HELPFUL.
At the bottom stairs you'll see to the right people waiting in line for the Navigo Vending machines. You don't want that.
Go to the little unassuming PHOTOBOOTH with the lighted Red Seat and you'll see the 5e Passport option. A concierge person with a light blue stripe hat might be nearby to answer questions you may have.
Sit down, find the 5e Passport photo option and try to smile from that all-night flight you just took.
Take those photos past the vending machines and go into what looks like a bank with a queue of people standing. There'll be tellers behind a window to the left another set in the middle and a person on the end. They'll sell you the plastic holder and affix your photo onto the card.
NOW...go back to the concierge guy near the Photobooth, ask for the rail map and what stop you want to get off on and he'll circle it. Get on the train and chill. It took about 30 minutes or so to Chatalet-Les Halles...so....check your watch when you take off and keep in mind when you return about how much time to allow.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Best,
=shane=

Posted by
2700 posts

The RER/train is cheaper, but that’s it. When I arrive I’m jet lagged and ready for a stroll, a coffee, a meal, not a train ride where I am hauling my bags looking like pickpocket bait. I take the cab for convenience, but we do travel as 2 or 3 so the expense is spread. But, even if I were to do this solo I’d opt for the cab. Others on this board will disagree.

Posted by
1210 posts

Hi. 'Best' is a matter of personal preference. Each method has its pros and cons. The train is safe and I find it a fun way to start my Paris experience. But you may have different priorities. If so, the cab works fine; also there are bus options that might be considered a compromise approach, but of course are still subject to traffic delays. Enjoy your trip!
p.s. just to clarify - note that the Navigo Pass mentioned above, while useful for some people, is NOT required for transit to or in Paris. For the train ride into town or any other metro or bus rides in Paris, easy to buy individual tickets; no ID, photo, etc. needed.

Posted by
4824 posts

"Best " is in the eye of the beholder. A taxi will take you to the door of your hotel; great if you're seriously jet lagged and/ or are weighed down by too much luggage. Or you could take the RER B train to the St Michel- Notre Dame stop, and then walk 10 minutes. Much less expensive; especially if you will be buying a Navigo Pass for your time in Paris. I know you didn't ask, but whether it's 7:00 am or 7:00 pm, the streets are perfectly safe to walk.

Posted by
1025 posts

Rue de Poissy appears to be on the Left Bank, meaning your taxi fare would be 55 EUR. Assuming you arrive at 7:00 a.m., and have an adventurous spirit, you can take the RER B from CDG into the city, and then choose which metro line would be easiest to get you to your apartment. The metro and the buses are easy to use, but for a first timer, the cab may be much easier and quicker. Get the RATP app for your smart phone and take a look at the different ways you can transit the City of Lights.

If you flight arrives at 7:00 p.m., then cab, for sure.

Posted by
2602 posts

Solo traveler here--I arrived in Paris slightly sick and overly tired and had no desire to navigate the RER or even an express bus from the airport. The taxi worked perfectly for me, just figured it's part of the cost of my trip.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you all so much!!
You've given some solid advice and I appreciate all your information and tips. I have done quite a bit of research and have yet to see "Navigo" card. My flight arrives 7am on a Monday! All night flight from US. Ugh!
Thanks!

Posted by
208 posts

The Navigo Decouverte card is what you might want. Unlimited travel from Monday to Sunday. I am not sure how long you are staying in Paris, but you can use it for the RER, Metro, buses, Night bus, Versaille, Disneyland Paris, Fontainebleau, Roissybus direct from CDG to Opera Metro stop area (corner of rue Scribe & rue Auber). It costs $5 Euros for the card, and you can bring a 2.5cm x 3 cm photo with you or purchase one in the ticket booths at CDG (choose the 5e print option) and then bring photo to the agent. They assemble it into a plastic card (you need to sign it first) and then you load it up for the week for $22.80€. Best of luck and enjoy Paris!

Posted by
776 posts

I live here, know exactly where I'm going, carry little luggage and still take a taxi because after a long flight from the US and alone, I don't feel alert enough to deal with the RER to metro or bus hassle.

Posted by
9420 posts

wbfey1, I’m just curious why you say “If you flight arrives at 7:00 p.m., then cab, for sure”?
I think the RER is just as safe at 7-8 am as 7-8 pm, or later.

Posted by
4824 posts

wbfey1, I’m just curious why you say “If you flight arrives at 7:00
p.m., then cab, for sure”? I think the RER is just as safe at 7-8 am
as 7-8 pm, or later.

I wondered the same thing. While this looks like a quiet street, it's in a well travelled area in the latin quarter, and only about 10 minutes from the nearest Metro (St Michel) and RER station. I've walked all through that area much later at night and felt perfectly safe. And I've never thought that riding the metro or RER in the evening was riskier than any other time of day.

Posted by
2466 posts

I live here and would take a taxi - from door-to-door. I don't think that Rue de Poissy is anywhere near Notre Dame. I would check on that.
You will be there before you know it.

Posted by
1025 posts

My comments about taking a cab in if the flight arrives at 7:00 pm deals more with confusion than safety or convenience. Assume a worst case 2 hour time to clear customs and immigration, and the OP is beginning her trip at 9:00 pm, with darkness in the near future. I love the RER and the Metro, and part of my Paris experience is navigating the various methods of public transport, but in a jet lagged state, I have made errors on connections and directions.

Hence the cab recommendation. ;-)

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks All!
I'm with you on being tired, jet lagged, and a bit overwhelmed with train situations, esp traveling alone. I know I will want coffee, food, and a little walk. I think the cab recommendations are spot on. I'll make sure address is written on piece of paper. I'll just add cost as part of my trip.
Thanks bunches!