Please sign in to post.

Carry On Luggage

I am looking for suggestions for carry on luggage that works for Air France (21.7x13.8x9.9). Everything I am finding is slightly larger than this. Even the backpack carry on option by e- bags. We are only coming for a week, so we are doing carryon only. Help!

Posted by
12172 posts

Shop for a 20" carry on. Soft sided helps it fit, unless you stuff it.

I'm now carrying only a shoulder bag from city bags - even for longer trips.

Posted by
7482 posts

You're probably aware that there's a "USA Carry-on" size and a smaller "International Carry-on" size. I hadn't seen the strict exact dimensions you cited before, and maybe some luggage manufacturers round up or round down a millimeter or two when giving their dimensions, but I'd think that you'd be fine with an International-sized 19x14x9 inch suitcase (49x35.5x23 cm). With my hardsided bag, I've only run into one plane where it required pushing on the overhead bin door to get it to just -- latch. Not sure what the situation was causing that, as everything else has fit with no resistance at all. Of course, if you luck out, the overhead bins won't be completely full, and you can even put your bag sideways and/or have room for a personal item and jacket. If you're unlucky, even if your bag meets all the criteria but they declare the flight full and make passengers check their bags, you may need to speak up to ensure they let you carry on, or be at the front of the queue so your bag is on the plane before they start making people turn them in to be checked.

If you can find a 20" tall bag as Brad mentions, even better - that will still more than meet the Air France specifications.

Posted by
163 posts

We bought Osprey Porter backpacks for our trip to England 2 years ago. We have used them for many trips and we will take them to France next month. They don't have wheels, so they fit into most carry on compartments. Very sturdy too and guaranteed not to rip.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the Osprey brand. My kids are starting to travel more and this seems like something I could pass on to them.

Posted by
5836 posts

Soft sided (with no rigid frame) that are close to those dimensions will fit size checking frames if not overstuffed. E.g. the RS Classic is spec'd as: Dimensions: 21" x 14" x 9" with the bonus that it's weight empty is 2#. The similar RS Convertable is spec'd as: Dimensions: 21" x 14" x 9" (not expanded) but weighs 3#.

Posted by
347 posts

You might want to do a few key-word searches on the Forum, as this is a frequent topic. Most are posted in Packing under the Tips and Trip Reports section.

I like my Eagle Creek 20'" international Road Warrior carry-on. Light weight, sturdy, lots of grab-handles.