Please sign in to post.

Carry on luggage?

Bonjour,

My husband and I are traveling to Paris in August. We both would like to use carry on size luggage and not have to check our bags.
I have been reading up on the specifications and international dimensions look smaller than U S flights. Would a good choice be a 19 inch carry on?? Once I started looking at luggage it quickly became a little confusing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
2393 posts

Which airline are you using? Do you plan on taking any intra-Europe flights on EU budget airlines? The sizes vary :

United allows 56cm x 35cm x 22cm that is a 22" bag x 14 x 9 no weight limit

Veuling allows 55cm X 40cm X 20cm with a 22 lb limit

Posted by
19095 posts

I think a lot of carry-on length limitations in Europe are 55 cm, which is 21-5/8 inches, slightly less than the 22" used by many US airlines. Nineteen inches should fit the European requirements.

However, be careful. That length limit includes everything, wheels and handles. Not just the contents part of the bag.

Also measure it yourself. A recent consumer report article showed that luggage manufacturer don't correctly show the size of their bags.

Posted by
13952 posts

If you are looking at luggage in person, take a tape measure with you to be sure of the dimensions.

If you can manage with a 19" go with that, though. Be careful about how thick it will be when fully loaded as well.

Posted by
14521 posts

I use a 19" carry on shoulder sack, weighing 17-19 pounds, always have no problems ( never been checked at the plane door) in boarding the plane, be it United, Jet Blue, Southwest, or going over Lufthansa, Air France, Br Air.

Posted by
1097 posts

Are you flying on Delta planes or Air France planes? I've only flown Delta, and anything up to a 22" is fine for them (and I've seen people get on with larger...). I can't answer for AF.

Posted by
671 posts

We find the Rick Steves rolling carry-on bag to be just right for us, and it fit as carry on for Air France. I believe it is 20". It does not work for Lufthansa but that is because we exceed the weight limit. From a size perspective, it would fit just fine. It's a great bag and very reasonable priced.