Please sign in to post.

Carnavalet Museum closing in October 2016

The Carnavalet Museum will close on October 2, 2016, and will undergo a major renovation project, estimated to take 3 years. Plans include providing accessibility for people with mobility issues, improving security, lighting and signage, etc.

The exhibits concerning the French Revoloution, the 19th Century and Belle Epoque have been closed for a few months and will not re-open until the project is completed.

The Carnavalet Hotel - which houses the room where the antique signs are, and small exhibits on the 17th and 18th Century - will remain open until October 2, 2016. The garden is also accessible.

Posted by
6543 posts

Thanks for this info. The Carnavalet is one of my favorite museums and also one of the few big ones that are free. But it is hard to get around in, and the sequence of exhibits somewhat confusing as I recall. I'm sure the renovation will be done well, and I hope it does nothing to detract from the beauty of the building itself, inside and out.

We don't want to wait three years before revisiting Paris, so next time we'll just have to forego the Carnavalet. Instead, maybe we'll visit the renovated and reopened Picasso and Rodin museums.

Now, the next thing we need is an elevator and moving sidewalk in the Catacombs! ;-)

Posted by
2605 posts

I happened on the Carnavalet by chance when wandering the Marais my last day in Paris and found it very interesting, even without English descriptions, and was sorry the above-mentioned exhibits were closed--still worth the visit and I'd make a point to return when the renovation is done.

Posted by
46 posts

Darn! I'll arrive in Paris for a month in mid-October and will be living not far from this museum. Was looking forward to visiting it.

Posted by
2466 posts

Elane - plenty of other museums within walking distance of where you'll be staying. Try the Arts et Metiers, Cognac-Jay, Victor Hugo's house, Hotel de Sully, National Archives...