Please sign in to post.

Carnac

I'm planning to visit Carnac in April and I'm wondering if anyone on the Forum has visited there recently. I'm interested in the Musee de Prehistoire and in visiting the menhirs, tumulus, and so forth. I'd welcome practical advice and your impressions. Many thanks.

Posted by
13905 posts

I visited there last May on a Road Scholar tour. We did not visit the Musee de Prehistoire in Carnac but we did visit the Alignments and also the site at Locmariaquer which is nearby. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locmariaquer_megaliths)

We were with an archeologist who was approved to take groups in to the alignments. At some point during the year - either April or May, the stones are closed unless you are on an official tour or are with an approved guide, so do check to see what the time frame is on this. If you are going to visit when the access is restricted, check the time for the English tours. It's much more interesting to go in to the stones than to look at them from the fenced area. According to our guide so many want to visit the stones that the paths between were being trampled down during the high season and endangering the placement of the stones.

This was the main purpose for my taking this particular tour itinerary and it was really interesting. I loved the whole Morbihan area.

Posted by
10176 posts

Edit: We went this week. The prehistoire museum in the town of Carnac is closed on Tuesdays. The visitor center, Maison des Megaliths, has an introductory film with headsets in English. You can get a good map and instructions there. It's open every day.
The tours at the megalithic site are only in French and there's one a day in April, at 2:30. But you can see so much without the tour. Walking paths being built by the National Monuments around the megalith stone sites are almost finished. We walked around two and wandered around others and into the muddy forest. The tumulus is a couple of kilometers away. There is a little train that drives by the stones on the road, but we enjoyed walking the (muddy) paths. It did rain every day this week!

Old post:
Here is the website in English: http://www.menhirs-carnac.fr/en/ It's administered by the National Monuments office, so finding the correct website for info isn't always easy. It is open in April. They provide the guides for the public tours. I see no mention of tours in English. They call the guided tours "tour-lecture" on the English website. The Maison des Megalith opens at 9:30 in April. We see no indication of being able to reserve or buy tickets in advance; the link is dead. If you want to ask them about tickets or tours in English, there is a contact form on the website but it is written in French.

I happened to look this up this week because we'll be there the first week of April.

Posted by
151 posts

In the 3 main alignments of menhirs, fenced off during the high season, there are tours in English only in July and August (once or twice a day). In my opinion, these megaliths are also worth seeing from the distance, especially since there are other megalithic sites in a restricted perimeter, which are not fenced off.
Yes, the museum in Carnac is worth seeing if you are interested in Prehistory (with much information, but some only in French).

Posted by
605 posts

Me and my family spent two nights in Baden and saw the Carnac stones, Locmariaquer and Gavrinis. I would recommend seeing all three. The informational movie at Locmariaquer is very good and provides context for what you see at Gavrinis, which is helpful because the Gavrinis tour is in French only. Book ahead for Gavrinis.

Where do you way to stay? We stayed in Baden, which was nice, though I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend the B&B we stayed in. For dinner, Creperie Er Lannic was great (reservations needed).

-Matt

Posted by
197 posts

If you only have time to visit one site, which one would you choose?

Posted by
8035 posts

We have booked a guide for the stones and have the option of Locmariaquer; what value added for that as we would probably have to spend another night in the area; we plan to get the train back to Paris that afternoon otherwise.

Also is Auray a good place to stay. It is convenient because of the train; is the town reasonably attractive for an afternoon?

Posted by
776 posts

When I blew through Auray on my way to Carnac, the lady at the tourist office refused to give me directions to Carnac because she felt that I, as an American, with Auray's connection to Benjamin Frankilin, should stay in Auray and skip Carnac which I did. And was glad. I'm not much of a rock person. Auray was lovely. I certainly relished seeing the teeny tiny port where Ben stepped off the boat. Also if you're a Balzac reader, you'll want to study up on the Chouans.

Posted by
8035 posts

Thanks Auray for an afternoon it is; we will do the Carnac tour the next morning and head for Paris that afternoon. This is a side trip from a six week stay in Paris; we will spend 3 or 4 nights in St. Malo beforehand.

Posted by
12172 posts

I liked Cairn de Gavrinis also, but too late now because their trip was in April.