Please sign in to post.

Carcassonne

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if it's better to stay inside the fortress of Carcassonne or outside and look upon it after spending time there during the day?
Thx for any input

Posted by
6901 posts

It does not matter that much. In any case, as far as I know there are only two hotels inside anyway, the amazing but expensive MGallery and a Best Western. So I'd decide according to budget and availability.

Posted by
24 posts

I stayed inside the walls last year. Would definitely recommend. I stayed at the Best Western. There are a number of great restaurants within the walls and it was nice to have dinner and then walk back to the hotel. It may have been because of Covid but it was very quiet during the evenings. I went for morning walks around the wall without any crowds.

Posted by
6788 posts

I agree it doesn't really matter that much whether you stay on the inside or outside. What matters most is your timing: arrive in the afternoon, check in to wherever you're staying, notice the crowds starting to dwindle. Enjoy the old city as all those other people thin out and then leave, especially into the evening. Sleep, then get up as early as you can -- get out early and enjoy the atmosphere of the old city without crowds in the early morning hours. Get outta Dodge by late morning, as the crowds pack in.

Same strategy that generally works for most of the places in Europe that are being loved to death by crowds: try to be there during the hours when 90% of the others aren't.

Posted by
4862 posts

David's advice is pretty much the same as is given for Mont St Michel, and it works. We were on a driving tour, so stayed in a hotel outside the citadel. But it was easy walking distance to the gate, and we had a lovey view of its walls all lit up at night. I can't remember the name of the restaurant we ate at (inside the walls). But I've never eaten a better cassoulet than what I had there that night.

Posted by
11159 posts

We stayed inside and had wonderful cassoulet
dinners too. It was amazing after the crowds left.

Posted by
15016 posts

I stayed at the Best Western last October and highly recommend staying inside the walls.

During the day, it is a madhouse of tourists, tour groups, cruise groups and tacky souvenir shops. But at night, when the day trippers leave, and the shops shut down, its a completely different place. I remember walking for quite a while with only my shadow as company. The restaurants weren't crowded and the owners had time to chat.

In fact, I stayed in my hotel room for much of the day, and went out at night.

Posted by
4101 posts

I don't think there is an advantage to staying within the walls. Here's where we stayed on our RS tour in 2019 https://www.hotelmontmorency.com/en/3-star-spa-hotel-carcassonne. It's about a 2 minute walk to the main gate. I explored after 9pm and had the place to myself. In the morning I got up before sunrise and enjoyed the spectacular orange glow off the east walls, then had the place to myself again for awhile.

Posted by
2130 posts

Another vote for the Hotel Montmorency. We also stayed there as part of a RS tour (before Covid). Perfect location, 2 minute walk to the front gate. We went over after dinner to take photos and to see the fortress illuminated. We had the place to ourselves, just magical.

Posted by
85 posts

When I visited Carcassonne I found public transport to be totally unfathomable. I walked everywhere, except to the train station. I stayed at the Best Western (be sure to request the main building, not the annex down the street). As others have mentioned, being inside the walls of the Cité after the crowds leave early in the evening is truly magical. I spent many hours over three days walking every little lane and pathway, also exploring the ramparts. I also enjoyed taking a boat ride on the Canal du Midi, the excursion went through several locks and was both restful and interesting.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Please pay attention to the words used by several responders. Words like, 'tourist horde'. A very popular place for families with younger type children. Well, it is a very popular place period. That is why early morning or later evening is the best time to be inside the castle. Besides the light is best then.

We found the city itself fun. Don't ignore it.

Let me recommend Kate Mosse's book, Labyrinth. It is a good read. Some of the story is set inside the castle and the surroundings. And you will learn about the heretical group known as either the Cathars or Albigensians. The church inside the castle has a description posted on its outside the wall that will have a very different meaning for you if you read this book.

wayne iNWI