Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Outside of Paris

We hope to travel from Paris to Tours by train and pick up our car rental there. We would be booking an automatic but our concern is that smaller rental agencies outside of Paris may not be able to full fill an automatic booking. We prefer not to drive out of Paris but would we have better luck getting an automatic in the city? Any suggestions or tips?

Posted by
4140 posts

Generally , you have a better chance of getting an automatic at an airport location since the agencies maintain larger inventories as opposed to smaller town or city locations . The drive from CDG is on major roads that circumnavigate Paris , so you won't confront Paris traffic . another option to consider would be to pick up at Orly .

Posted by
6920 posts

I would avoid renting at CDG to go towards Tours: CDG is completely in the wrong direction. And the time to get to CDG from Paris is the time the train takes to go from Paris to Tours...

Orly airport would work, but I still would not do that either, because Saint-Pierre-des-Corps (the TGV station) is a fairly big car rental location and I would just rent there, no worries. Automatics are increasingly common, especially if you rent a 'C' (Compact) category car or larger. The one thing to be aware of is opening days/hours for the rental agency you choose: check those carefully.