Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Insurance in France

Hello, I am from the states and looking at rental options for renting a car through Auto Europe. The three rate options are: 1) Base rate, 2) Inclusive rate with deductible and 3) No deductible with extended coverage. I recall renting in Italy and having to be very careful about which insurance I chose. Is there a go to option for Americans (with car insurance at home) renting in France? Or is just a matter of comfort/risk level with the deductible? Also, would AmEx or Costco Visa provide any coverage in this situation? Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
5687 posts

Your US auto insurance doesn't mean much in France. But all rentals in Europe (or in most countries, anyway) already include liability insurance. It's the deductible for damages to the car you need to worry about.

Many people have used their credit card for extra insurance coverage. Some have had damages and wound up making successful claims. Me? A few years ago, I had damage to a rental car in Croatia, and Amex's "Amex Assurance" insurance company sat on my claim even though I provided everything required for the claim. It seems they made only the absolute minimum effort to contact the rental car company, and the car company just ignored them, so I never got reimbursed for the damage. I called and called and emailed and called until they just wore me down and I gave up - lesson learned. I used to use my Amex for everything; I haven't used it in a couple of years now. Probably ought to just cancel it.

One thing I would do if I ever use a credit card for insurance again is not to accept responsibility for the damage - let the car company hold my deposit. Then I can dispute that charge...and the car company will have to provide documentation to prove the cost of the damages. And I could use that documentation for the insurance claim. Amex Assurance had told me just to accept responsibility when returning the car, then they would reimburse me, but that never happened. The car company had no incentive to cooperate with them.

Otherwise, when choosing a level of insurance, you're managing your level of risk. If you rent a car with 1,000 Euro deductible to get cheaper insurance, then you have to be prepared to pay that amount in case of damages, obviously. But if you rent with a reputable company, unless there really is damage, you have nothing to worry about. Take pictures of the car with your phone when you rent it and when you return it. I've never had any rental car company claim damages (horror stories you hear) on any rental in Europe, except the one where there was obvious damage I knew about.

Also check prices with other companies besides Auto Europe. Try Kemwel and EconomyCarRentals too (I used EconomyCarRentals once). Sometimes they simply offer cheaper rates or even their own insurance that might be cheaper than the car company's. One thing I don't like about Auto Europe is that (as I understand it, haven't used them in a while) they charge the full price of the rental up front, even though your rental can be canceled for a refund up to 48 hours(?) before pick-up of the car. EconomyCarRentals by contrast charges only a "deposit" (their commission, probably) up front, and you pay directly with the car company when you rent it.

Posted by
1878 posts

American Express has premium rental car coverage for around $20 per rental, you have to ask them to put that on your card. The problem with it is they don't charge the premium until they see a charge from a rental car company on your card. If you book through a consolidator like AutoEurope (advised), they won't charge the premium until you pay local taxes, if any, at the point of rental. It always bothered me whether we have a contract or not if no premium had been charged. What if they never do charge the premium and you have an accident? Claims adjusters get paid to figure out how the insurer is not on the hook for the claim as much as they get paid to adjudicate the claim. AMEX will charge the premium manually if you call them but it has to be a month before. Their customer service is often horrible with poor communication skills. They charged me the premium in Ireland even though their contract explicitly exclude rentals in Ireland. When I called to ask for refund the service rep had very serious communication issues and they ended up taking the service off of my card entirely (not what I wanted). So in summary, I have relied on AMEX in the past but am wary of doing so in the future.

We went for the super CDW in Ireland and needed it. I tend to want to go that route in the future because I have lost trust in AMEX and the deductibles on regular CDW can be be high--like over $1,000. Rental car companies are very casual about tracking damage on the front end but they can discover their attention to detail upon drop off, so best to play it safe.

Posted by
4554 posts

Do a search here as this has been discussed ad naseum.

I recommend renting directly from the agency and not using AutoEurope, and using credit card insurance. Works best for me.

You can use AutoEurope and the Amex policy by doing a precall to have the $20 policy charged manually-- I just find using AutoEurope or another third party agency is more work.

Posted by
2916 posts

One thing I don't like about Auto Europe is that (as I understand it, haven't used them in a while) they charge the full price of the rental up front, even though your rental can be canceled for a refund up to 48 hours(?) before pick-up of the car.

Yes, that's still the way they work. But I have no trouble with it, because it's incredibly easy to cancel a reservation, and it's highly unlikely I'd want to make a last minute cancellation. I find that Auto Europe's rates are significantly lower than booking direct, so it's worth having to pay up front. And if the rate drops (like mine recently did), AutoEurope will refund the excess payment.
As to insurance, everyone has different opinions. For 25+ years I always went with my credit card insurance. But the last 2 years I took the No Deductible With Extended Coverage, since I though the rate was very reasonable.

Posted by
16894 posts

It is mostly about your comfort rate with the deductible. This current thread about insurance in Italy may also have some tips you find relevant.

Posted by
1567 posts

I always use Auto Europe now. Just a point regarding the zero deductible polices, some of then do not cover tires and roofs. (I think the term Auto Europe uses is 'supercover' for fully inclusive policies?). Also, if you book with them, keep checking back on the prices every once in a while - I saved about $150 Canadian last year this way.

Posted by
11240 posts

Contact you credit card company/companies and ask them what they cover. They are the ones to know.

There are so many 'flavors' of VISA, AMEX, MC etc, that what my flavor card covers or does not cover ,may differ from what your card flavor covers.

Posted by
11294 posts

If you are looking at Auto Europe, also look at Kemwel. They are two formerly separate companies that are now under one corporate umbrella, but they can still have different rates.