Please sign in to post.

Car rental in France

Hi: We are Canadians looking to rent a car in Bordeaux. Last year my husband could not rent a car in Japan as he did not have an international driver's license. I am assuming that since we rented a car in UK in summer 2022 we will be fine in France - but then again, never assume! If anyone has any info please share!

Best, Victoria (Toronto, Canada)

We rented in Marseilles through Hertz and neither my wife nor I have an international driver's license. One bit of advice, opt for an automatic transmission if you don't have much experience driving a manual. France is not a good place to learn how to drive a stick shift.

Happy Travels,
Matt

Posted by
1605 posts

If you have an Ontario license, an international driver's permit is not required in France.

Posted by
4253 posts

From the French Embassy in Canada

Driving licence. If you come to France for a short visit (such as
holidays), you can drive using your foreign licence. It must be valid
and either written in French or accompanied by an official translation
into French or an international licence.
https://ca.ambafrance.org/Driving-in-France-with-a-canadian-licence#:~:text=Safety%20devices-,Driving%20licence,French%20or%20an%20international%20licence.

The official translation may be the International Drivers Permit-it would be in Alberta where there is no French to be found on my license. It's the law to have a French translation of your driver's license. The rental car place may not care but if you're stopped by police for any reason they may ask for it. I'd check your insurance as well. Most insurance won't be valid if you knowingly break the law and driving without a valid license would be breaking the law. I'll let a lawyer weigh in if this should be a concern or not.

Posted by
6579 posts

I am assuming that since we rented a car in UK in summer 2022 we will
be fine in France

The UK is the UK and France is France, two different countries. Never assume that the laws in one country are the same as in another country.

Posted by
491 posts

Not sure that our experience is reliable for your situation, since we are from the U.S.
We always travel with an International Driving Permit and have never been asked to show it or even say that we have it. It's easy and inexpensive to obtain here from AAA, among other places. I am pretty sure CAA provides the same service. From my point of view, it's worth getting the permit for peace of mind.
I notice that the quote from the French Embassy and some of the posters here are referencing an international "license". I am referring to an International Driving "Permit". I believe they are the same but can't say for sure.

Posted by
284 posts

Yes Bob, it's actually a permit. It's the bilingual piece that we've never cared about because most rental car agencies don't even ask. We will be getting one for next time, although, because if you get stopped and they don't understand english, I've heard it can be a hassle.

Posted by
457 posts

We are US citizens and were asked for our DL, international permit and passport (this week) at our rental agency in Normandy.

I know this does not answer the OP’s question though.

Posted by
1605 posts

All the relevant information on an Ontario Driver's License is in English and French.