Please sign in to post.

Car rental and GPS

We will be renting a car in Avignon ("Renault Twingo or similar" the rental place says - we are renting the least expensive model) and I will be using my phone's GPS to get us around.

I am wondering if the cars have USB plugs for my phone that will allow me to get information on a display, or if I should bring something to mount the phone. It would be nice to save the room in my backpack if the mount is not needed, but if I need to bring one then it would be good to know.

Thanks -

george

Posted by
4140 posts

Bring both a mounting device and a cigarette lighter style plug . I always do , better safe than sorry

Posted by
15204 posts

I always bring a small very basic car mount like this. Once you take the 3 pieces apart it doesn't take any room in your suitcase. I also bring a USB lighter, in case the car has no USB. I must say however that in the last few years I haven't needed them, because all the cars I got had a USB that would connect you to CarPlay and I'd be able to see my phone's Google Maps or Waze on the car display. Renault Twingo does have CarPlay, but sometimes you don't know the actual model you get.

Posted by
54 posts

Thanks for the info, it looks like getting one and finding room for it in the backpack is a good idea.

Cheers -

george

Posted by
6788 posts

Always bring both, just in case.

Last trip, I forgot to bring the phone mount for the car. Oops. Didn't take too long before my spouse got tired of holding the phone up where I could see it.

Fortunately, if you have enough duct tape, you can improvise (I actually bring GorillaTape when I travel, it worked like a charm for this - but admittedly it looked pretty ugly).

Posted by
1824 posts

The latest versions, which are those that rental companies have, generally have at least one USB port, even the cheapest models (and may also have Bluetooth!). This sometimes also causes the cigarette lighter to disappear from available equipments.

But follow Steven's advice...better safe than sorry
And 2 USB sockets are better than one.

It's very unlikely that there will be a system to hold your smartphone

Posted by
54 posts

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a holder for the phone as well as a cigarette lighter that has two USB ports.