Please sign in to post.

Car rental

We (2 sisters) will be renting a car in Nice (not staying) and will be based in Isle sur la Sorgue for a 9 day tour of Provence. Everything I read says the roads are narrow and windy. Any feedback/suggestions on car makes/models. Unfamiliar with Renault, Peugeot and Citroen so having trouble imagining space/size. Have driven a Fiat 500 which seems really small and kinda flimsy feeling. Thoughts? Recommendations based on experience?

Posted by
7277 posts

Smaller has been better when we’ve been in places with narrow roads, or including Provence. We’ve stuck with manual transmissions, although some people prefer automatics. Engines have been adequate to get up hills and maintain speed on faster roads. You may be in a position to pick your car model, or the rental company now you may have a certain car in a size category they’ve assigned.

So you may be presented with a VW or something else, but we’ve had a Peugeot 206 and 306, both worked well. There are a lot of Renault Clios around, and we’ve had a Renault at least once, but think it was a different model. I think we had one Citroen once, maybe a bigger car with 3 people, and it worked fine.

Again, the smallest car that still hold your passengers and everyone’s luggage (ideally out of sight in the trunk) is the way to go.

Posted by
759 posts

Always keep in mind unless you reserve a specific car - at increased cost since these are usually specialty models - you are likely to get whatever they have when you show up.

I don't think I've ever gotten the car I reserved at any European car rental agency. Most recently in June I reserved a Fiat 500 at the Avignon TGV station for exploring Provence hill towns and when I arrived they were thrilled to present me with a brand new 4 door Mercedes E class. They were mystified when I turned it down so instead I got stuck with a brown Citroen full sized SUV. Neither of these cars were anything I would have reserved for driving and parking in small towns.

Reserve the size car that will meet your luggage - preferably hidden completely - and your people but be ready to be "upgraded" to about anything when you pick it up.

=Tod

Posted by
15560 posts

A few months ago, I rented a car in Nice with Europcar through AutoEurope. I reserved a small 4-door compact w/manual transmission. At the train station office, they tried to sell me an upgrade and, when I refused, gave me a free upgrade to a larger car. Obviously they didn't have a smaller one available. I don't remember, but I think it was an automatic (I don't remember shifting gears in some tight places where I would have needed to). The car was wider than a compact and there were some villages where it was challenging to drive with a stone building on one side and a stone wall on the other and some sharp turns. There were bits where I had to stop to let pedestrians walk through or they stopped to let me drive through - with outside mirrors folded, of course.

My point is that if you must pick up a car in Nice, do it at the airport where there's a larger fleet of cars so you'll have a much better chance of getting what you want. Why Nice, not Marseille? Marseille is closer and a big city so you'll have more choices of cars and the companies will have bigger fleets there as well.

BTW, when I was shopping for the car, most companies had a daily mileage limit. It didn't impact me because I only drove locally - lots of hours, few miles.

French cars are pretty much the same as German cars which are about the same as Korean, etc. I find that even if I'm alone, a 4-door car is more convenient, easier to get stuff in and out. I had a Renault Clio in Portugal this year and it was small (easy to park and navigate narrow lanes in those medieval towns) but roomy inside and had plenty of zip going uphill.

Posted by
6783 posts

Contrary to the others who advise renting in Marseille, I would say that if you are landing in Nice then you are better off renting in Nice: driving straight to L'Isle-s/Sorgue will be much faster than taking the train to Marseille then renting (you'll save at least 2 hours), the highway out of Marseille when you rent at the train station is stressful (appalling standard of driving, lots of weaving) and I would say car fleets are equivalent between the two cities, Nice being more touristy.
A Fiat 500 size is fine and safe even on the highway, as long as you don't have heaps of luggage. I typically book the "B" category, one above the smallest one, it is more pleasant to drive.

Posted by
337 posts

a fiat 500 has very limited luggage capacity, two modest size cases, anything more or even a larger case will need to
be on the back seat. regards

Posted by
9 posts

To clarify; arriving in Nice via train from Italy and picked Nice as the first town of any size. Plan is to get from Rapallo to SLS quickest possible as travel day. Then have just over a week to explore before taking TVG to CDG to fly home. Appreciate everyone’s input!

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Yes, small is better. Winds, don't worry. Narrow roads? yes, curvy roads? they can be, hilly? if you are lucky. But in all cases watch your speed. Slower is better than fast.

Watch for the up sale at the counter. "For only 5 Euro/day you can have a BMW." Now why would I want a BMW as a renter in a foreign land? How fast can I safely drive? What about Gas mileage. Expect $4 to $7 per gallon equivalent. Go with a Clio or a Ka.

Insurance? They will try to sell you under carriage insurance, wheel insurance, roadside insurance. The insurance can be more than the rental. I rent with a credit card that will cover losses on a rental as long as I rent it initially and pick it up using the same card. My credit card has saved me thousands of dollars over the years i=on rental insurance. And NO, your personal automobile policy from here does not cover you there.

Parking can be awkward. Ask in advance of renting if the hotel/motel/cottage/apartment, etc has secure parking. Don't be freaked out by the words, secure parking. But off the street parking prevents scrapes and random teenage vandalism.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
9460 posts

I typically book the "B" category, one above the smallest one, it is more pleasant to drive.

To me this is a good rule of thumb if you will be doing any highway driving at all with two of you. There is no point worrying about the specific car — you just want something pretty small (which luckily is pretty easy when you are only two traveling). And yes they will often try to fob off something bigger on you anyway.

I think a Fiat 500 would be a bit small for two touring around with luggage, but oh wouldn’t it be fun!!

Posted by
509 posts

IDBO, I replied to your PM regarding Provence itinerary. Not sure if you received the email alert to the reply.

rca

Posted by
12172 posts

The biggest issue is usually trunk space.

I always get the smallest manual transmission car they offer. I'm perfectly happy with less. The manual transmission does better than automatic with a smaller engine. I've had small Fiat 500 and Peugeot (two times each) in my last four French trips.

My one sub-carry-on size bag fits easily in the back on either. I've also had a tent, sleeping bag and pad in the boot of a Peugeot. I doubt I could fit two full size, hard sided, suit cases in either.

I think the Fiat feels a little more heavy and offers more pick up than the Peugeot but gas mileage is pretty awful for a European car. I preferred the Peugeot.

Posted by
113 posts

We had a Peugeot last September & it made me want to buy one! Trunk was big enough to hold our 2 carry-ons, coats, and shopping bag - so not huge but enough. It was GPS-equipped (so no charge to get an ancillary GPS unit), USB charging port for the phone, and great control, even on narrow winding roads.