Please sign in to post.

Car or train?

Salut!

We (2 adults and one 2 year old) are traveling to France next month to visit family I hardly know as well as for some of the Women’s World Cup action. We arrive in Paris, next to Metz and on to Lyon for the last week. We are assuming renting a car will help in getting from Paris to Metz and day trips to see family or fun with the kiddo. But I also want our son to experience a train. Does it really make more sense to rent a car in Paris? Or take a train to Metz and then renting from there? Any words of advice? I guess we could also do the train to and from Metz or Lyon for day trips to see family.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Katia

Posted by
6783 posts

Hi,
The drive to Metz is 4 hours+ on a boring highway, the train is less than 1.5 hours: I'd rent a car in Metz for day trips. You'll save on gas and tolls too! You do need to book train tickets in advance though (oui.sncf is the railway company's ticket booking system; loco2 is a reputable reseller if you prefer).

Posted by
797 posts

Take the train to Metz. You do not want to drive in Paris especially with a 2 ear old in the car Every time we go back it seems to get worse and I just look at the traffic and give thanks that I am walking. When you do get the rental car, a couple of thoughts. 1) An IDP is 'recommended' but not required in France. That translates to get one just in case. 2) Take a GPS with a European map card that you know how to use and back it up with some good paper maps. The problem with GPS is that while it tells you exactly where you are, it does a poor job of showing where you are in the grand scale of things.

Hopefully your son will enjoy the trip and it will be a good experience but be warned that there will be no long term memories of it.

Have fun.

Posted by
5697 posts

My husband has driven in both Paris and Lyon -- and thinks Lyon is worse! Looove trains. We have enjoyed having a car in Normandy/ Loire, Provence and Dordogne areas.

Posted by
2537 posts

Whether you drive to Metz or to Lyon or both, it is all autoroute.

I would pickup a rental car near Gare de Lyon, head to the Quai de la Rapée (one block south), proceed straight ahead as the road turns into A4. The next turn you will need to make is to exit the autoroute at Metz. It is very easy.

Having the car allows you to stop anywhere en route that you like and gives you complete control over what you do and where you go upon arriving in Metz.

As far as costs, you'll save on train tickets but there will be fuel and toll expenses with driving.

I would unquestionably drive and prefer the flexibility it offers.