Please sign in to post.

Cannes France

Our ship is porting in Cannes from 7:30-4:30, what is there to see in Cannes that isn't too touristy? We were thinking to get transport from the port and go to Old Nice instead. and walking through the streets. Thoughts on this?

Posted by
7259 posts

Cannes is a tender port, so don't expect to be on shore early. Nice is easily reached by train and is delightful to visit, it would be my top choice, but it might be safer to go with a shore excursions to make sure that you disembark early enough.

Posted by
1493 posts

I would check the shore excursions offered by the cruise. Going by bus can take an hour both ways. There are trains that leave every 60 minutes that take about 45 minutes to get to Nice, but you would have to be there with tickets at the right time. I suspect that they will have a Nice tour; at least to the Chagall Museum. I would probably just go ashore and enjoy the ambience of being in Cannes. Most everywhere in this area of France caters to tourists. I enjoyed going to the Picasso Museum in Antibes which is in the Chateau Grimaldi which is built on the foundations of ancient Greek town of Antipolis. There are a lot of great end destinations nearby. Watch the movie "To Catch a Thief" and "The Red Shoes". Both are Classics showing this area. Bon Voyage!

Posted by
21 posts

No excursions that give you time in Nice. We will probably Uber there and back and just walk through the streets in Old Nice. October 19 date. Is there a certain area in Cannes that we should be sure to experience?

Posted by
7259 posts

I find Cannes is just a name. There is an old town of sorts west of La Croisette but it is no match vs. Antibes or Nice. Very little of actual interest to me; I would maximize my time in Nice.

Posted by
934 posts

Cannes is not a city with any "notable sights," yet it manages IMO to be magical nonetheless. I love the place. Views are fantastic. And male humans of all ages will enjoy the scenery.

ETA: I love Nice, too, and there's more to do there.

Posted by
7324 posts

you can take a short ferry to Sainte Marguerite Island.

The ferries leave from exactly the same place as the ship's tenders dock at, or did when I arrived at Cannes on a cruise.

Posted by
21 posts

Looking for villages to visit off the beaten path very near Cannes. Our ship is docking in the port on Saturday, 10/19 from 7:30-4:30. If we don't have time to get to Nice and back (depending on the tender times), we want to tool around nearby villages, suggestions? We can Uber or train, I guess.

Posted by
7259 posts

I would preferably arrange a tour for this (perhaps Cannes tourist info office can help), but with a driver I think you could tour Gourdon, Tourettes sur Loup and Saint Paul de Vence in that timeframe.