Please sign in to post.

Canal St Martin

We will have a couple of hours exploring the Canal St Martin on our trip in September. By looking at a map, I see that there are 2 portions. The first one starting I n the Gare de l’est Area and the other portion starting at the Bastille area. I’ve done some research on TripAdvisor and this forum and understand there are homeless camps and seedy portions somewhere along the way. I would like to avoid these areas if possible but would like to see some of the locks and maybe stop somewhere for a quick lunch so would appreciated any suggestions. After the canal, we are heading for Père Lachaise for a 1 pm guided tour.

Posted by
7260 posts

The Bastille section is not very interesting - just a little harbour. Best section is indeed near Gare de l'Est: between jardin Villemin and rue du Faubourg du Temple.
Jardin Villemin was infamous for a homeless/refugee camp, but that was 10-15 years ago. It's all very gentrified now.
As for lunch: there are plenty of options from almost any kind of cuisine imaginable, so it's hard to pick one... For French, I liked Les Vinaigriers one or two years ago, it's in the street of the same name close to the canal. A bit pricier, one street further north Les Enfants Perdus is also very good.
For canal-front lunch, options (Hotel du Nord, Chez Prune) are few, less interesting and usually very busy, but they're not bad either - worth a shot if you value the location more than the cuisine.

EDIT: just saw that your guided tour was at 1pm, that's really early since most places won't open before 12 for lunch and it is a 15 min brisk walk from the Canal to the Père Lachaise. Your options could be limited, then.

Posted by
1155 posts

Balso- Any suggestions for a cafe or patisserie where we can get a sandwich or a crepe? Or should we head down to Pere Lechaise area for our meal before the tour?

Carol- unfortunately we won’t have time for the canal boat tour. The timing just won’t work.

Posted by
1421 posts

Miznon Canal, 37 Quai De Valmy. Beef Bourguignon in a Pita, Mmmmm.

Posted by
1155 posts

Thank you brushtim! I looked it up and that looks perfect!