Please sign in to post.

Canal boating in France

We're hoping to do a barge trip while in France in the spring of 2024. Looking for recommendations. Prefer to hire rather than a rental.

Posted by
1838 posts

The most interesting canal could be the Canal du Midi, in the South West but you should have specified which part of France you will visit.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
Pre-railroads, canal building was a big deal. Our Eire Canal is a perfect example, it made NYC and Chicago what they are today. Really. Before the Eire canal was built New Orleans was the big deal. And then came the trains and for the most part inland canal building ended. Sorry about the history lesson.

Europe built canals where ever the land permitted. IF you have a particular area of France you want to travel, look for a catered barge for hire in that region.

Friends of mine did a canal near Auxurre, France. Actually, like many canals, if too follows a river, in the this case the Yonne River. They loved it. They had a catered barge with wonderful food. Another couple we know did a rental and spoke very highly of their trip.

Currently I have noticed that areas of France are suffering a drought. You should keep your eye on how that develops. As I said, canals often follow rivers. Using the river where it is deep and wide enough and then canal alongside the river when it isn't. Regardless, they require water. Cruises on the Rhine have turned into bus trip in recent years.

Canal or no, you will love France

wayne iNWI

Posted by
1041 posts

Prefer to hire rather than a rental.

Sorry to hijack your post, because I am legitimately interested in canals. But I'm curious what is the difference between "hire" and "rent." To me they are the same thing, but "hire" is more British usage.

Posted by
5934 posts

My knowledge of US canals is shaky (UK canals it is encyclopaedic) but surely it's the Erie Canal, not the Eire Canal.

Posted by
690 posts

By "hire", do you mean traveling on a canal boat with someone else piloting, and by "rent", do you mean a boat which you would pilot?

Posted by
10249 posts

After 4 days without a response to pertinent questions from the OP I wonder if she has changed her mind?

Posted by
281 posts

Sorry for my delay in response. I am very interested in still going on a canal boat. Yes, I mean hired as a catered barge vs a rental that we would steer ourselves. Thank you all for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about where exactly, and I hadn't thought about a drought. We'll be in France for several months, so there's many choices to consider and the timing as well. I just wanted a starting point and everyone has been generous with their comments.

Posted by
32878 posts

before anybody jumps on you for Schengen regarding your several months in France, I see from your 3 months in Paris thread that you have that under control.

Posted by
2129 posts

I encourage you to at least consider renting a barge. After 3 busy weeks in France one year, we spent a week on a drive-it-yourself barge. For us, it was a welcome respite from crowds and hotels and logistics. We would awake in the morning to the sounds of ducks outside our window (they know barge = people = bread). Our leisurely float down the river was interrupted only by the locks, which were stressful at first but by the end, had become fun. The boat itself couldn't have been easier to drive. The only skills you need are a couple of basic knots (to tie up).

Our trip was in September, starting in Agen with a barge rented from Locaboat, primarily on the River Baise. We saw very few other boats. The tiny towns we visited welcomed tourists and served us some of the best food of our trip. It was the most peaceful, relaxing week imaginable.

We have since seen photos of traffic jams of boats on the Canal du Midi, having to wait for hours to go through a lock, and we were very glad we had ventured off the beaten path and chosen a peaceful river, rather than a man-made canal.

Posted by
2552 posts

I have traveled by barge on the France inland waterways, on river boats operated by both AMA and Uniworld, and have captained small boats throughout the French canal network.

The Uniworld experience is vastly different from renting a boat and being your own captain; and so is the cost. I can recommend all of these options, but you must be very clear about what it is you want.

Posted by
10249 posts

Charlene, thank you for your comments. We are considering a self-driving barge and I appreciate your comments about the difference between doing it on a canal and an off the beaten path small river. We would likely be doing this in later September or early October.

Not to highjack sue’s post, but she and others that are following may be helped by my question, how difficult would it be for 2 people in their 60’s to do a self-driving barge alone?

Posted by
2129 posts

I just saw Andrea’s question — and I think a self-drive barge is well within the capabilities of most active 60 year olds. I was 58, my husband Tom was 61, but I think we could have handled it for another 10 years or more.

Tom had a little experience with boating, and showed me some basic knots. Since he was driving, I was the one hopping out & tieing us up, and quickly got the hang of it. I was also the navigator (they gave us a map book to follow) and the lock operator. I had a bit of ladder climbing to get to the lock mechanism, but nothing strenuous. The locks were operated by an electronic key card that I wore on a lanyard around my neck, so they were easy.

We spent most of our week on the lovely River Baise. Seldom saw another boat. Just floated down the peaceful river at 8 kph, navigating the locks, stopping at little towns, having little adventures and wonderful meals. No traffic. No hotels. Highlight of that trip to France!

Posted by
690 posts

sue,
I am just wondering if you have made any decision regarding a canal boat trip. I have been looking at options for a Canal du Midi trip myself, and would appreciate any thoughts or info you have. Thanks!

Posted by
10249 posts

Thanks Charlene, that’s good to know.

Posted by
2552 posts

Unless you have a Permit Fluvial, you will be limited to predetermined routes as specified by one of the well known rental companies, such as:

https://www.leboat.com/

https://www.lescanalous.com/en/

https://www.locaboat.com/

In operational terms, it will make no difference if you are on a river, such as the Charante, on a canal, such as the Midi, or a combination as are many of the routes in Alsace.

Two people in their 60s, even older, could easily be able to handle one of the commercial canal boats. You'll want a pair of leather work gloves for handling the ropes, and a bit of rain gear in the event of inclement weather, then just take your time and enjoy the marvelous scenery.