Please sign in to post.

Calais

I will be travelling to France from London this summer. I will be taking the Eurostar train to Calais and then plan on renting a car to see some battlefield site in Northern France for a few days.

Calais obviously isn't really geared toward tourists and all the car rental sites indicate the office hours are fairly restricted.

Can anyone suggest good, cheap hotel near the train station and maybe a car rental agency that would be open in the evening.

Posted by
32969 posts

Where in Northern France?

Somme, Normandy, Vimy Ridge, Salient?

Generally you will much better off going as far as Lille and getting your car there. Or into Paris, cross to St Lazare and get the car in Caen, depending on destination.

Calais is a dump and no place to be getting a car.

Posted by
39 posts

Vimy and Normandy.

Lille seems like a good tip. Thanks.

Seams like it will be easier to get a hotel and car. I wasn't really looking to spend any time in Calais, but it seamed difficult even to pickup a car there.

Posted by
32969 posts

From Lille, Vimy Ridge and Arras is just down the road one way, Ieper (Wipers) and its Menin Gate (and every evening (8pm) Last Post ceremony) is just a few minutes the other. The Salient is just there too.

Normandy is a bit of a drive, but an easy one - but has expensive tolls.

You may be cheaper and faster returning your car back to Lille and TGV to Paris, cross to Gare St Lazare, train to Caen and hire a second car there. Or go on an organised tour of Canadian (Canadien) sights with one of the extremely knowledgeable Normandy D-Day guides.

(my uncle was D-Day Plus 2, a tank Commander). I lost a relative on his second posting after being invalided for a year, in the Third Battle of Passchendaele, really lost, parts never found who is "buried" nearby at Tyne Cot.

Expect to take plenty of time at Vimy Ridge. It s very moving.

Posted by
8889 posts

IWN, I hope you are aware that if you are getting one of the three Eurostars from London that stop at Calais (current timetable here), it does not stop at Calais Ville (Calais town centre). It stops at Calais Fréthun, which is near the tunnel mouth about 5 miles from Calais. You would need to get a taxi or connecting local train into Calais.

I would agree with Nigel, it may be easier to pick up and return the car in Lille. City centre station, many more Eurostars stopping and bigger city so more chance of finding a car hire open.

Posted by
39 posts

After checking out my options for Lille rather than Calais, I think that is my preferred option.

Thanks for the advice.