Please sign in to post.

Buying tickets in advance.

We are about 90 days out from arriving in France. We are staying in Provence, Dordogne, Normandy and Paris...in that order. Other than the Eiffel Tower and TGV tickets, are there attractions or other things that we should be getting tickets for now? Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted by
194 posts

If you plan on visiting Monet's house and gardens in Giverny (which I highly recommend), you should buy your tickets in advance here: http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/ticket/.

I think it's a bit cheaper to get them in advance, but more importantly, you'll skip the long line and go right in. If you're going there from Paris, it's a relatively short train ride out and back to Vernon (the nearest train station). Or perhaps you incorporate it into your Normandy itinerary.

When you get to Vernon, either rent a bike right across from the station and enjoy a leisurely 6 km relatively flat ride to Giverny, or catch the frequent shuttle bus. I recommend the bike route, as you can go at your own pace and soak in the French countryside, away from the crowds (until you arrive at Monet's house, of course... : )

Enjoy!

Posted by
1369 posts

Depends if you are using the Museum Pass while in Paris to see other sites. If so, then you are covered. If not, then I would purchase the sites ahead of time you wish to see (Louvre, Versailles, Orsay, etc.) Having the Museum Pass or specific ticket decreases your waiting time, waiting in security only & not the ticket line. The same for sites at your other locations if offered.

Posted by
8059 posts

If you want to buy tickets I would get them all at once from a FNAC store in Paris rather than paying extra for shipping or having to pick them up once there. Pick up locations can be very inconvenient; more so than just buying tickets at the site. It is a good idea to have Versailles and Orsay tickets in advance as well as Giverny.