Please sign in to post.

Bus tickets in Meaux France

I am going to the WWI museum in Meaux and intend to take the bus from the Meaux train station to the museum. I would like to know how bus ticketing works in Meaux. Do I just pay the driver? If so, is exact change required? Must payment be in coins, or are bills acceptable?
Alternatively, can I buy a bus ticket near the train station?
Also , is there a taxi stand near the train station? Does Uber operate in Meaux?

Posted by
9607 posts

Looking at the museum's website and following the transit links there to the Meaux transit site:

If you have bought a T+ (regular metro ticket) in Paris, that can be used on the bus in Meaux (it's all regional Paris transport system). If you don't have a ticket, you can buy one from the bus driver for 2 euros exact change. (If you buy them from the machine, they're 1.90 apiece, or 14.90 for a carnet of ten tickets). It's probably easiest if you have a two-euro coin for this, although they would probably take other combinations of coins. They don't give change back.

There should be a taxi stand in front of the station. The museum also gives this number to call for a taxi

(If dialing from a U.S. phone, dial +33 1 64 33 85 86).

I'm guessing there are probably Ubers in Meaux, but you'll have to open up your Uber app when you arrive at the station to see!

https://www.museedelagrandeguerre.eu/en/practical-info/access.html

Posted by
8068 posts

We used our Navigo Decouverte in visiting the museum so a t+ ticket would also work or. Mobilis day pass.

Posted by
27163 posts

Thank you for this thread. I was vaguely aware (from this forum, probably Fred) that there was a WW I museum in Meaux, but I had no idea Meaux was so close to Paris. Another museum to add to my list.

Posted by
14535 posts

Have Euro coins ready for the bus. I took the bus right opposite of the train station. The drawback was I had to wait ca 40-45 mins, There is more than one bus line going out to the WW1 museum. Inside the train station you see signs indicating which bus line to take.

I paid as I would with any other bus when I got on, just asked the driver what the fare was...ça fait combien? If you have no coins, don't give more than a ten Euro bill. I didn't see taxis in town so don't know if they are at the station, don't know if Uber operates in Meaux. That's not an option for me.

The museum is certainly worth it, it's located way out there, up on a hill in a big new building. On the way back I almost decided to walk it, that would have taken one hour if I didn't detour into seeing the centre ville, which looked pretty interesting. All those town in the north and were in the horrific fighting look interesting....Chateau-Thierry further east from Meaux, Soissons, Beauvais, Amiens, Neuville St Vaast, St Pol, Cambrai, Perrone, Vimy, Albert, Douai, Arras..especially

Meaux was part of the 1914 battle field. Pay close attention to the museum battlefield electronic maps...very good.

Posted by
4051 posts

https://www.museedelagrandeguerre.eu/en.html

France calls WW1 the "great war" in contrast to its experiences in the subsequent conflict. It was enormously costly to the country (and all others) and the special attraction of La musee de la grande guerre is its focus on the experiences of ordinary people, both civilians and the foot soldiers in the trenches. While giving tactics and generals their due, day-to-day life holds lots of surprises. My particular favorite is a giant horse-drawn carriage, looking like something from America's wild west, except it was used to transport carrier pigeons to the front -- a rolling bird house. (The birds remained a vital, and reliable, means of communication in the early days of radio.) The centre of Meaux is a pleasant small-city experience, with a nice flower garden behind the city hall. I had lunch and asked the patron to call me a taxi for the jaunt to the museum on the outskirts.

Posted by
2 posts

My thanks to everyone for your responses. Digging further into Ile-de-France transportation I've discovered that a Mobilis zone 1-5 pass will apparently be the least hassle way to do this day trip.

For those interested in WWI museums, I strongly recommend the US's National WWI museum in (of all places!) Kansas City. It is very thorough and well done. It is divided into two wings of equal length. One is about the causes of the war. The second is about the war itself. As you approach the entrance you get an idea of how much thought went into the museum. You are walking on a large glass covered field of red poppies. It makes an impression.