Please sign in to post.

Breathalizer kits in rental cars

Rick's latest update in his 2017 FRANCE states on page 1103 that "all motorists including those in rental cars are required to have a self test breathalyzer on hand so they can tell if they are over the legal blood-alcohol limit." I have a legal US device for purpose. Will that qualify in France? Does one have to test oneself every time he/she gets in the car after eating a meal with wine etc.?

Posted by
11221 posts

I would contact you rental car provider and find out what the status of the law is and if still required, are any provided with the rental car.

If you do a search for ' breathalyzer law, france" there is no shortage of results. I did only a quick look but found the one time use kits cost 1 euro. It also seems the fine for not having one in a car has been "suspended". Lots of murky info out there. Think best source is your rental car co.

Posted by
10227 posts

Someone else asked this a few months back and our research found the rule suspended, not enforced. When the law was posted many years ago, all sources quickly ran out of breathalyzers.

Posted by
619 posts

Hey Bets,
I've got to tell you that I am impressed again and again how you stay on top of things in France! I read in the Rick Steves' France 2017, as lalalady says that breathalyzers are now required for all cars in France. I checked with Europe car, from whom I'm renting and this was their response: "Dear Customer, Thank you for your email. breathalyzer are not mandatory for drivers you are advised to have one but won't have any fine if you don't. All this to tell you our vehicles are not equipped with breathalyzer. Best regards, Jordy, Europcar International Reservation." So I was pretty confused, but you have just confirmed Europecar's information. So, again, merci beaucoup.

Posted by
277 posts

There was a rumor that a relative of M. Sarkozy stood to profit handsomely off of the breathalyzers (éthylotests). The information above is correct: you're supposed to have them, but there's no penalty if you don't.

This link might be useful: http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/connaitre-les-regles/questions-frequentes/questions-frequentes-sur-l-ethylotest

It's an official statement of the French government. I would trust it over advice from other countries.

It states:

L'éthylotest a été rendu obligatoire dans tous les véhicules
terrestres à moteur par un décret publié au Journal officiel le jeudi
1er mars 2012.

Un nouveau décret, paru au Journal officiel le vendredi 1er mars 2013,
maintient l'obligation de posséder un éthylotest mais en supprime la
sanction en cas de défaut de possession de l'éthylotest : les
conducteurs doivent continuer à posséder un éthylotest dans leur
véhicule, mais en son absence ils ne seront pas sanctionnés.

Cette mesure a pour vocation de développer une logique d’autocontrôle
chez les conducteurs et de les inciter à vérifier leur alcoolémie au
moment de prendre la route. Elle s’inscrit dans un dispositif global
de lutte contre l’alcool au volant (ou au guidon) et vient compléter
la mesure en vigueur depuis le 1er décembre 2011 généralisant la mise
à disposition de moyens de tester son alcoolémie pour les clients de
tous les établissements ouverts la nuit et servant de l’alcool.

Depuis 2006, l’alcool est la première cause infractionnelle de
mortalité routière. En 2011, plus de 30 % des personnes tuées sur la
route le sont dans un accident où le facteur alcool est présent, un
taux qui ne régresse pas depuis plus de dix ans. Si aucun conducteur
présumé responsable n’avait conduit avec un taux d’alcool positif, 1
150 vies auraient pu être épargnées (Bilan ONISR 2011). Que dit le
décret ?

Le décret n° 2013-180 modifiant l'article R. 233-1 du Code de la route
précise que « tout automobiliste est tenu de posséder un éthylotest à
bord de son véhicule. Tout en maintenant cette obligation, le décret
supprime la sanction qui devait s'appliquer, à compter du 1er mars
2013, en cas de défaut de possession de l'éthylotest ».

Which, in English, says:

The breathalyzer was made compulsory in all motor vehicles on land by a decree published in the Official Journal on Thursday 1 March 2012.

A new decree, published in the Official Journal on Friday 1 March 2013, maintains the obligation to posses a breathalyzer in their vehicle but removes the penalty if no breathalyzer is in the driver's possession: drivers must continue to have a breathalyzer in their vehicle, but in its absence they will not be punished.

The purpose of this measure is to develop consistent self-monitoring among drivers and to encourage them to check their blood alcohol level when driving. It is part of an overall system to combat drinking and being behind the steering wheel (or the handlebars) and complements the measure in force since December 1, 2011 generalizing the availability of a means to test the blood alcohol level for customers of all establishments open at night and serving alcohol.

Since 2006, alcohol has been the leading cause of road traffic deaths. In 2011, more than 30% of the people killed on the road are in an accident where the alcohol is a factor, a rate that has not declined for more than ten years. If there were no drivers allegedly responsible for driving with a positive alcohol level, 1,150 lives could have been saved (ONISR 2011 report).

What does the decree say?

Decree No. 2013-180 amending article R. 233-1 of the Highway Code states that "every motorist shall be required to possess a breathalyzer in their vehicle. While maintaining this obligation, the decree removes the sanction that was to apply, beginning 1 March 2013, in the event a breathalyzer is not possessed."

Posted by
8889 posts

If an allegedly up-to-date guidebook is saying this, it is WRONG and totally OUT OF DATE.
This was a law passed way back in 2012, but was never brought into force as it was impractical.

From the British AA:

Breathalysers
In July 2012 the French announced that drivers must carry a breathalyser or, from November 2012, be fined €11. You still have to carry the breathalyser but the fine has been postponed twice and was shelved in January 2013.

Since a large number of Brits drive over the channel, the AA should know.
Source: https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-in-france
Lots of info on that page, Also click in "Our driving tips for France, in full" at the bottom

and here: http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/

Posted by
12172 posts

I've rented a couple of cars in the last year in France. Interestingly, you aren't required to have an IDP - as long as you carry a notarized translation of your driver's license; an IDP is easier.

Posted by
8092 posts

The idea is that if stopped by police you have the test so you may be tested and the state doesn't have to provide it. I find it utterly plausible that it was enacted to provide profits to whomever had the influence to get it done. This happens all the time in the US. E.g. the expensive reflective license plates were enacted in many states as a result of lobbying by 3M -- only 3M benefitted. It is not yet being enforced, perhaps because power has shifted.