Please sign in to post.

Breakfast in Paris

Greetings all! My husband and I will be returning to Paris in late September, too many years after our first trip to celebrate our 25th anniversary in 2009. I am wondering if anyone knows of a restaurant or cafe where you can have a more American style breakfast (eggs, bacon, real cream for your coffee) in or near Le Marais. We are hoping to book a room near the Place des Vosges. I have heard of one, Holy Belly, near the Canal Saint Martin, but it is a good half hour walk from our desired location, so I'm hoping there might be somewhere a little closer. While we are all about "living as locals" and embracing Parisian culture, I find I am much better equipped to do this after I have had a good breakfast and coffee. Continental breakfasts just aren't enough to keep me going until our long, late lunches at the beautiful cafes. Any suggestions?

Posted by
7828 posts

Maybe choose the hotel you stay partly based on the breakfast. That should be easy to find.
Or do a AirBnB where u can make your own breakfast.

Posted by
4105 posts

"Breakfast in America" now has several locations in Paris. There's one a block from Metro St. Paul.

Posted by
3961 posts

Our favorite hotel in the Le Marais is Caron de Beaumarchais. Their breakfast consists of a mixed basket of a Croissant's, baguette's, boiled egg, fruits, juice and made to order coffee + cream. The only "American" food lacking is the bacon! Like another contributor mentioned their are "American style" breakfasts a couple blocks away at Metro St. Paul. Place des Vosges is a short 10 min. walk.

Posted by
1025 posts

Try Holybelly, in the 10th. 19 rue Lucien Sampaix 10e Paris

Posted by
20072 posts

Yes, finally someone agrees that the true American breakfast is an Egg McMuffin. And they cost less in Paris than in the States.

Posted by
2349 posts

Miss Manon bakery on Rue St. Antoine, on the corner of Rue St. Paul has what you're looking for. I'm not sure about bacon. Eggs and quiche are available.

Posted by
355 posts

I don't have a recommendation for a restaurant in that area, just a word of warning. French under cook their eggs. So, make sure you are clear on how you want your eggs cooks, because if you don't, you will get eggs that are extremely runny.

Posted by
6525 posts

Almost every decent hotel’s breakfast has eggs, bacon or sausage, and cream for coffee or tea. They also have breads, fruits, yogurts, cheeses, meats, juices, regional and local specialties, and more. That’s pretty much standard anyplace in Western Europe. With some hotels it’s included in the price, for others, it might cost up to €20. I’n my opinion, the convenience of being able to eat at the hotel rather than having to go look for a place to eat, offsets the cost. Remember their bacon my not be like Oscar Mayer bacon.

Posted by
2466 posts

Breakfast in America will do the trick. If you like your eggs scrambled, tell them so.
Oeufs sur le plat are fried eggs. Their bacon is fine, by the way.
I don't think the restaurant has "bottomless cups of coffee", though.

Holy Belly has just been renovated. Most people take things to go.

Posted by
9562 posts

If you stay at Place des Vosges, the Breakfast in America at 4, rue Malher (the one mentioned above near St Paul metro) will be very nearby.

http://breakfast-in-america.com/?lang=en

If you're going to be there for a couple of weeks, though, do be sure to try Holybelly!!

https://holybellycafe.com/

Either one of these will be much more crowded on the weekends, so keep that in mind. During the week, you'll get in more quickly, but lines will be longer on Saturday and Sunday.

Posted by
1336 posts

I myself have never dined at breakfast in America but I have heard people that go there really love it. When I was a language teaching assistant in France I knew a lot of Americans that would go there and find there a little bit of happiness.
I am of the other swort. I love to try the continental breakfast at hotels in France. For some reason a French breakfast to me is the best breakfast out there. Nothing can top a real croissant and a café-crème. When I took my American students to Paris two years ago they fell in love with the French breakfast that were served at our hotel. In fact, it seems to be the one thing we remember the best about our trip! I hope your trip goes swimmingly.

Posted by
5381 posts

One of the reasons we went to Paris recently was to have American style breakfasts. Breakfast in America was a repeat hit with us. There are other American style places for breakfast, such as Twinkie Breakfast.

Posted by
2466 posts

You can always get an omelette - with ham, and cheese - at any cafe, or fried eggs, and if you get the "Menu", you can get yogurt, a hot drink, orange juice, and a tartine and crossant, as well. Most places list the price as 8 EU.

Posted by
408 posts

Yes, finally someone agrees that the true American breakfast is an Egg McMuffin. And they cost less in Paris than in the States.

Do the McDonalds in Paris have Egg McMuffins? Most McDonalds in France are not open for breakfast at all -- are the ones in Paris? That's curious, if so -- probably an effect of all the North American tourists there.

A couple of points on comments made above: I'd be surprised if a server at Breakfast in America didn't speak English, so a request for scrambled eggs in English would likely be understood without hesitation. The last time my wife and I were there on our trip north to Paris in early January, our waitress was a student from Austria who spoke perfect English. If I recall correctly she said it was a requirement for being hired as a server there.

And, yes, they do have "bottomless cups of coffee," based on my experience last month. It's not good coffee, mind you, but there's plenty of it.

Posted by
8293 posts

If you think the French do not eat at McDonald’, think again. It is known as McDo’s and is quite popular. I know that one in the 15th is open for breakfast so probably most are.

Posted by
1336 posts

The friendship developed an affinity for le fast-food. Some, not all, McDonald’s are open for breakfast in France. The very few times that I’ve gone they have a little menu that includes the McMuffin and then you get a choice of fives such as a pancake, fruit, or an assortment little pastries. Their coffee isn’t bad at all. I have adapted the menu to the population and compared to American McDonald’s it’s nothing to shake a stick at. That said, give me French food any day over American fast food.

Here in French is the menu and you can find a list of participating restaurants
https://www.mcdonalds.fr/produits/menus/offre-p-tit-dej

Posted by
408 posts

Well, for what it's worth, the McDonalds I've come across in Bourgogne and in the Lyon area do not serve breakfast. It's interesting that some in the Paris area do. I'll have to look for that the next time I'm in town.

Edit -- Thank you for the listing of McDonalds restaurants that are open for breakfast. Most appear to be in larger cities, so my view is probably a bit biased toward small towns. Next time I'm in a larger town overnight, I'll have to look to see if the McDonalds is open in the early morning and if they serve anything other than coffee, juice, and pastries at that time of day.

Posted by
2466 posts

I think you are speaking of the McDo's Cafe, instead of the restaurant.
The restaurant actually serves at the table. You have to use the "borgne" - photos of the menu -for the orders and use a credit card.

Posted by
56 posts

Thanks to everyone who has contributed their experience and expertise! Guess I should have mentioned that my husband and I are foodies, so MacDonald's would not be our first choice. We will definitely check out Breakfast in America as well as Holy Belly. Then it will be on to French cuisine for the rest of our meals! Vive la France!

Posted by
408 posts

If you consider yourself "foodies," Breakfast in America is not going to cut it. A visit to a local Waffle House in the U.S., or, better yet, another decent breakfast diner, would yield a substantially superior breakfast.

In short, if you want an American-style breakfast of high quality, you're not going to find it in Paris or anywhere else in France (at least in my experience).

If you want an American-style breakfast, one day go to a place like Breakfast in America and tolerate its limitations and its pitiable coffee. On the other days during your visit, check around and find a place that makes good viennoiserie and pick up some decent croissants, pains au chocolate, escargot (also called pain au raisin) and find some good coffee with which to wash it down.

Or go to a café that serves breakfast and have at it. Personally, I prefer some fresh Normandie butter on a virgin baguette recently from the oven to viennoiserie, but everyone has their predilections.

Posted by
27096 posts

Want to mention something that worked well for me: Mini-quiches are widely available in France, typically in the same places selling croissants and the like. Sometimes there's a microwave to warm them up, but not always. I found that if I bought a mini-quiche instead of some sort of bready thing, I was good until lunchtime. It's not the same as a cooked-to-order egg breakfast, I admit.

Posted by
2466 posts

I also suggest a mini-quiche or pizza. Prices vary from 3 EU to about 5 EU, depending on the ingredients.
The boulangerie will heat up your order.

Posted by
56 posts

I like the mini quiche idea - more sustaining than a pastry alone. Thanks!!

Posted by
27096 posts

When traveling in Germany in 2015, I noticed sandwiches available early in the morning at train station food booths; there was quite a variety of fillings and types of bread. I found cheese and ham-and-cheese OK at that time of day, so I began watching for sandwiches elsewhere. Although I prefer quiche-like products, a sandwich is often easier to eat. The problem for a solo traveler is the size: The things are often very large. The German ones were suitable for one person; in France they mostly looked like subs/hoagies.

Another good possibility is cups of cut-up fruit. Again, first noticed in Germany. Not quite as pervasive in most other countries, but frequently offered at the same places displaying sandwiches as well as at supermarkets and street markets.