Edit Wednesday morning 9/13: one person has died.
(Also edited to reflect that testing has shown this is definitely botulism from this source.)
French press is reporting that seven people who went to the Tchin-Tchin Wine Bar (near the Bourse) in Bordeaux last week have been hospitalized with botulism.
Three of the people needed to be put on a ventilator, according to a tweet from a doctor at a Bordeaux hospital.
They apparently ate sardines that the restaurant had canned itself. The restaurant owner confirmed that when he opened one of the tins, there was a strong odor. "But others appeared okay so I served them to clients."
The clients affected are of American, German, and Canadian nationality. I hope everyone will be okay.