Please sign in to post.

Bordeaux

We will be doing a Rick Steves tour, and want to spend a week before in a region of France. We've previously spent time in Paris, Normandy, stayed 2 weeks in Avignon, and two weeks in Lorraine. Bordeaux seems completely different, and we are wondering about being a tourist there. I know nothing except that it has a coastline (not so fascinating to me after living in Hawaii for 30 years), and is down near the Pyrenees.

I would appreciate honest opinions from those who have been there--is this a worthy destination for us? We are also considering Alsace. Thanks!

Posted by
286 posts

You didn't say where your Rick Steves Tour is, so I'll just tell you how I plan a trip to France. I've traveled to France at least 11 times since 2000, and going again in a month. I combine travel in areas of France, so I do not need to get on or off trains a lot or drive long distances. I also think about future trips I would like to take in countries that border France. In 2014, we traveled to Bordeaux and Toulouse, then did a week in Barcelona and the Priorat area, for example.

Thus said, I have been to Bordeaux 3 times and enjoyed it, especially the last trip as Bordeaux has really matured into a comfortable, easy city to negotiate and environs to travel. Increased consideration for travelers - good restaurants, chocolate shops, pedestrian shopping area and tram completion not to mention an interesting history make Bordeaux a good choice to visit. In 2005, it was difficult to find a truly decent hotel within our mid-range pricing. In 2014, there was a lot more to choose from a bit further out from the center, and we decided to stay in a B&B. With a car, you can visit charming St Emilion, Arcachon, the Medoc or Sauterne area.

With a train, I would include Toulouse and Carcassone, or travel to Spain.

That said, Alsace is very unique especially the Route des Vins.

Posted by
2916 posts

I've been to Bordeaux several times recently, and would recommend it, although not for your whole week. Instead, I would suggest a couple of days in Bordeaux and the rest of the time in one other place within 2-3 hours of Bordeaux. It could be the Dordogne, the Basque region, or the Pyrenees. Alsace is great, and you almost can't go wrong staying anywhere along the Route de Vin there.