Please sign in to post.

Bordeaux

Spending a day or two in bordeaux on the way to Spain. Any suggestions to where to see or stay?

Posted by
639 posts

shellytilley,
In Bordeaux, the Cite du Vin is quite impressive. You will spend 3-4 hours there, easily. The Lumieres ds Bassin is really nice also. The Cathedral is lovely, and I would go to the Musee d'Aquitaine, and the Musee du Vin et du Negoce. Also, tours of wineries in the region are available. A walk along the river, and/or a walk around the pedestrian area in the old town before or after dinner.
We stayed at the Hotel Saint Louis Beaulieu de Bordeaux. You can check it out at Booking.com. It is a one long block walk to the tram system which takes you all around. It has secure free parking. No a/c or tv, but inexpensive (about 85-90 euros), clean, modern rooms, elevator, good breakfast for 7.50 euros. Also, near to the train station is Hotel Particulier, an apart/hotel with a/c, tv, kitchenette, separate bedroom, washer/dryer, sitting room. Very close to the train station. We paid about $120.00. With two days, I would go to the cathedral (30-60 minutes), then one of the museums that appeals to you. After lunch, the Cite du Vin. You could wind up at the Lumieres de Bassin followed by a latish dinner. Busy, but you could drop a museum or the cathedral if you feel too rushed. The second day I would go on a tour of wineries in Bordeaux or St. Emilion. You could see the Bassin des Lumieres this day instead of the first day. Enjoy some cassoulet for dinner one night, a regional specialty. Yum!
Bonne chance et bon voyage!

Posted by
207 posts

Bordeaux is such a wonderful city with a lot to do! Judy offered some great suggestions. If this is your first time (and you enjoy wine) you should visit La Cité du Vin (https://www.laciteduvin.com/en). From there you could walk the Quai along the Garonne with it's boats, shops, parks. Or you could pop in for a bite to eat at Les Halles Bacalan (a food hall/market), which is just across the street from the wine museum. The cathederal is beautiful and worth a look, especially if this is your first visit. For wine, a great place to stop and taste if you don't have time to visit any wineries is Le Bar à Vin (https://baravin.bordeaux.com/en/) I also really love the Chartrons neighborhood on Rue de Notre Dame. Very charming with great restaurants/bistros/cafes everywhere and cute shops. The Musée d'Aquitaine is also wonderful, especially if you are a history buff. And, the neighborhood around the museum also has tons of great food offerings. Finally, the food. Eat your way through the town. So much good food!

Posted by
321 posts

If you love wine, in addition to the Cité du Vin I highly recommend the Musée du Vin et du Négoce de Bordeaux. Check out their website at https://www.museeduvinbordeaux.com/language/en/home-3/

I learned stuff at this delightful little museum that wasn't even mentioned at the Cité du Vin. And they include a tasting of some wines that you likely haven't encountered elsewhere.

Good heavens, I love Bordeaux.