Please sign in to post.

Bordeaux

I have the opportunity to spend 2 - 3 weeks on a home exchange in Talence, a suburb of Bordeaux, in June.
My question is, do you think there is enough to see and do in this area of France to fill this much time? We are willing to drive out on day trips, up to 2 - 3 hours away, to explore. We love to hike/walk, explore history and museums, and enjoy good food and wine as well.
Thanks so much in advance for your valued opinions!

Posted by
552 posts

The first destinations I'd want to head toward are: up the Dordogne River and down the coast into Basque Country. They both fit into your "willing to drive' zone.

But is there a stipulation that you have to stay, 'sitting' the trade house, the entire time? If I were doing those explorations by car, I'd want to spend a night in Sarlat or a night or two in San Sebastian.

It sounds fun, Anita. Have you done 'Home Exchange' before? Are you using that exact website, or some other source? I am currently look for property that would be suitable for exchanges, what do you do about freeing up adequate closet/storage space for the other family that moves in? Thanks...

Posted by
3391 posts

Hi Bill -
Yes, we have exchanged homes 9 different times all over the world. We use homeexchange.com It's a great experience! We never exchange for less than 3 weeks to any one place so we get to know the area very well. We usually do back-to-back exchanges so we can stay out of the country for a couple of months. This summer so far we have an exchange arranged for Prague and we are trying to decide between Bordeaux, Edinburgh, or a town in Norway for our second exchange.
We do clear our master bedroom closet and one dresser drawer. There is a lot of other prep work to do but it sure beats paying for a rental or hotel!