Please sign in to post.

Black Forest or Alsace?

I am taking an Avalon Rhine River cruise in April, and for our free afternoon in Strasbourg we are given a choice of 3 optional excursions. One is a bus tour to the Black Forest, stopping at the Vogtsbaurenhof Museum in Gutach. The second choice is a bus tour on the Alsace Wine Route, with a stop in Obernai and a wine tasting. I have never been to either area and would love to do both -- but unfortunately I have to chose between the two. (They also offer a trip to the Maginot Line, but not being a war buff, I'm not that interested.)

I am also posting this on the Germany Forum.

Posted by
1287 posts

I have done both and would choose the Alsace. You did not say where you are from but I live in,the Pacific Northwest and found the Black Forest to be similar to our countryside without the mountains. ( We have lots of nice woods and waterfalls) The Alsace will give you a German experience in France. The town's are very cute with German roots that still are visible today. I would love,to go back to the Alsace but probably won't go out of my way to see the Black Forest again.

Posted by
32171 posts

I like both wine and the Alsace, so that's the option I'd probably choose.

Posted by
16 posts

I was born, raised and live in New York City, so naturally there is NOTHING here even close to the Black Forest or Alsace. Either would be an adventure, but the consensus seems to be Alsace. Thanks for your opinions!

Posted by
809 posts

We loved the Vogtbauernhof museum when we visited in 2006. Do you enjoy historic houses and restorations like colonial Williamsburg or Van Cortlandt Manor or Mystic Seaport? If so I would suggest the Vogtbauernhof. If not then the wine tasting and Alsace towns trip is probably a better choice. Either way you will have a great time!

Posted by
16 posts

I've been to all those places -- so I am pleased to know what we have right here compares so favorably with the Black Forest. So that makes 5 votes for Alsace, 2 for the Black Forest, and 2 saying "either." It does sound like France is the favorite. Thanks to all!

Posted by
396 posts

Sounds like you're closing this thread : ) but another vote for the Vogtsbaurenhof Museum. Williamsburg and Monticello are some of my absolute favorite places to visit and this appeals in the same way. As well as the transplanted vernacular buildings that have been placed to create a village feel, they also have historic plant and livestock varieties. One thing to consider: how long will you have at the Museum? It's a large place; we spent hours there. If you only have a short time and would be disappointed by not seeing a lot of it, that would be another vote for the wine tour.

Posted by
16 posts

Lia -- Since this is an afternoon excursion only, I am sure we will have relatively little time at the Museum. From the description it seems they concentrate on the the cuckoo clock maker, them you give you free time for "shopping." (Which, of course, you can use to explore the Museum further.) I will ask our tour guide for more details before making a decision. Fortunately we don't have to commit to an excursion before the trip. Thanks for your input.