Please sign in to post.

Bicycling in Alps and Pyrenees, anyone? July 2014

Looking at a trip to do some road cycling of the famous hills in the Alps and Pyrenees during July 2014. I am going to try to stay a few days ahead and out of the way of the Tour de France, but might brush up against a stage or two. I will be staying at mid-range hotels and/or vacation rentals. Would be great if there are some others out there that might want to join all or part of the trip. You need to be a fit cyclist (nothing crazy, but be able to ride 40-100 miles with climbing on a single ride) with a bike that is ready to roll. If names like Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Aubisque, Izoard, and Tourmalet don't mean anything to you (or you don't want to know about them), this is probably not for you. I also love great food, wine, and beer and hanging out with fun people. Bonus if you speak French, as I do not. But I'm working on it.

Posted by
813 posts

In case you aren't aware, in some places when they set up the Tour De France, they let the public ride it the day before the real riders come through. It's huge fun. I'm sure the official website will have the stages map up and contact information if applicable. With that information, you could call some local villages and see if they open the ride up or not. Enjoy!