Please sign in to post.

Best vineyard to visit at St Emilion?

We are having a wonderful time in Sarlat and heading to Libourne in the morning, our base for 2 days, (close to St Emilion and Bordeaux) . Any suggestions which vineyard would be best to visit in such a short time frame? Has anyone just used a train to get to St Emillion and Bordeaux from Libourne, instead of dealing with the car directions, parking and/or traffic? ( We have driven quite a bit, enjoyed the gorgeous Loire Valley and Dordogne Valley - so we are tired of driving)
Any suggestions would be appreciated....
Thanks,
Peter

Posted by
552 posts

Does the 'Wine Spectator' magazine have a 'chat page'? That's where I would go for this conundrum...

Posted by
4684 posts

The train from Libourne to Bordeaux and Saint-Emilion is pretty comfortable but not especially frequent, and as I remember there are some odd variations for different days of the week, so learn the French abbreviations for them and check the calender carefully. Bordeaux has a good tram system so I would go in by train rather than worry about parking a car. Saint Emilion railway station is a longish but doable walk from the town itself, although it's a bit uphill towards the town and much of the road has no sidewalk, so you need to pay attention to either the uneven grass verge or oncoming traffic.

The wine-growing area is quite large, though, so if you want to visit a vineyard rather than the town you will probably need to drive.