Please sign in to post.

Best of Eastern France October 2024

Hello fellow travelers! We are wondering about a few things regarding the tour noted above; and I didn't see these specific topics mentioned in others' posts.

1) Train from CDG to Reims. For people who have traveled from the US and needed to catch the train to Reims: Did you purchase tickets in advance? If so - how far in advance? Or, did you show up when you were ready to board and were able to board? They seem to run fairly frequently but from experience we also know that labor strikes can occur at any time.

2) For this same train trip, there appears to be a transfer along the way. How difficult is that to navigate?

3) We are really excited about Day 9 (free day in the Alps) and are interested in Hike #6 (Guidebook Pg. 832). This seems very doable and the easy hike sounds more like a walk to the Swiss border. Has anyone done this? If so, please share! And, what shoes to wear? (the proverbial question for me!).

Thank you!

Posted by
2507 posts

Question 1). Yes, it's advisable to purchase TGV high speed train tickets in advance. Go to oui.sncf.com to buy them. I bought mine on the website from the Gare de L'Est Station in Paris, 45 minutes to Reims Centre Station. I will fly into CDG airport and take a taxi to the Gare de L'Est station.

The station you mention is 5 miles from Reims and you need to take another train. I have a ticket from the Gare de L'Est Station to the station in Reims. I am on the Sept 8-21 Eastern France tour!

Question 2) Yes, there is a transfer if you take a train from CDG or Gare du Nord.

Question 3). I just looked for Hike #6 in the France guidebook and found it on Page 861 (I probably have a different version. It sounds like something I would enjoy. I spent 2 days in Chamonix on the Rick Steve My Way Alpine tour which is fantastic by the way. I look forward to seeing Chamonix again.

Another tip is to go to the Man in Seat 61 website, it is chockfull of useful information regarding trains all over Europe.

Enjoy your tour! But definitely buy your train tickets now. They sell out quickly!