Please sign in to post.

Best of Eastern France June 16 2019

Who else has signed up for this tour? Any recommendations on the best way to get from CDG airport to Reims?

Posted by
1580 posts

You can check this website and it will give you the rail line and time of the train that takes you from CDG to Reims

https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-times/paris-charles-de-gaulle-airport-to-reims-ville

It is easy to take the (fast, reserved) TGV departing Charles de Gaulle TGV station (terminal 2) direct to Champagne Ardenne, then change there to a regional, unreserved connection to Reims. You can buy the tickets in the station (if the train is not full) for €35-37 per person in 2nd class. This would be the simplest plan.

TGV fares are cheaper if you lock in an advance-discount rate, but the downside is that those tickets are not changeable or refundable, so you must buy a new, full-fare ticket if you miss the train due to airline delays.

Posted by
6289 posts

Splodeboog, we're on the same tour, but two weeks earlier! We've already found one tour mate here, so it's possible you will, too. But as many folks have noted, most people who take RS tours don't even know about the Forum, much less post on it.

We're excited about our upcoming tours (we're doing another one - Paris and the Heart of France - before the Eastern France tour) and are finally finding time to start making plans. Our Best of France 2019 book arrived today, so I'm looking forward to perusing that. Planning is half the fun!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you, RJean, for the link to the train. And thank you Jane - sounds like you're going to have an amazing time in France with back to back tours!

Posted by
380 posts

Any recommendations on the best way to get from CDG airport to Reims?

I would not recommend this. I hope you are not planning on arriving in France the day the tour starts. If your flight is delayed you may end up missing the start of the tour. Often planes land on time, but a fair amount they don't. So you'll either need to plan for cooling your heels in the airport for a few hours in order to buy a cheap advance-purchase fare on the train, or buy the one nearest your flight arrival with the understanding you may end up needing the walk-up full fare if you miss that train.

RS recommends arriving a day or two ahead of the tour. Reims is a nice town but I wouldn't add 2 days on to my trip in Reims unless you are really big into champagne tasting. Instead I'd go into Paris. Find a moderate priced hotel. You don't have to worry about delayed flights. Walk around, visit a museum, etc. Two days later take the cheap advance-purchase train to Reims.

Posted by
796 posts

I took this tour this past fall and loved it. I arrived 3 nights early; spent my first night in Paris, then got on the train to Reims central that I had booked months before for around 20 Euros or less (Friday). I could walk to the Reims hotel with my bags from the station very easily. I spent one full day, Saturday, the day before the tour started, visiting Epernay and Hautvilliers; it was one of the highlights of my trip. I took the train to Epernay , bought return ticket right there, and immediately got a taxi to Hautvilliers, around 12 Euros, dropped off at Tourist Info office to get map and advice. I roamed around the gorgeous town, visited 2 small wineries in town, saw Dom Perignon’s church and walked through vineyards. I had a picnic lunch I had bought in Reims at the indoor market, at a beautiful picnic area overlooking vineyards. Heavenly! The TI called the taxi for me back to Epernay where I visited a couple of wineries. Then training back to Reims.

On Sunday before the tour started I went to the Basilica, where I was too late to sit in the service as it had started, they made the tourists wait until it ended. It was gorgeous. I enjoyed listening to the service though. Well worth visiting.

Enjoy your tour.

Posted by
27 posts

If you are staying in Paris for a few days before the tour (recommended so there is no jet lag to start your tour) you can catch the direct TGV train at Gare l'Est - a direct train ending in Reims - takes 1 hour if you catch the 12:58 pm train and if you book in advance you can save $30 a ticket so the ticket is $33 rather than $63. The TGV is the best way to get there - clean and quick and nice scenery on the way. This tour is wonderful as I was on it in September 2018 - enjoy!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all for the replies! As we've been to Paris numerous times, we are not planning on spending any time there pre-trip. We do plan to arrive a couple of days before the tour starts, with time to relax before we get going.