Please sign in to post.

Beaune

We are in Beaune, and we took the walk RS recommends to the vineyards outside the city. As we walked, trying to figure out just where we should be. (We do tend to get a little lost sometimes following RS directions and I tend to blame it on his maps), but as I was complaining about finding the little opening in the wall, there it was. And what a beautiful site it was just a few hundred feet away. We don't travel by car, so we miss some of the things you can see by car. But just a short walk from the city is the most beautiful view of wine country that anyone could ever hope to see. Car or no car. So this is kind of an apology to RS maps and a suggestion for anyone staying in Beaune, to definitely take the walk outside the wall to the vineyards.

Posted by
1238 posts

Thanks Jerry and Stelly. I don't travel by car either so tips like this are good to know. I must say, I always seem to walk waaay slower than is mentioned in the books. It takes me much longer to cover the distance, even though, as referenced for places like Gimmelwald, the times are based on Swizz senior citizens' walk times :-)

Wish I were in Beaune. Thanks for the mental lift. Debbie

Posted by
27283 posts

What they don't tell you is that the Swiss grandma was probably a former Olympic athlete!

Posted by
111 posts

My wife and I did a self-guided bike ride through the vineyards there and we went right through that little opening you describe.
Definitely one of the most gorgeous views! If you're looking for a restaurant in Beaune, I can recommend La Ciboulette for great service and food. Enjoy!