Please sign in to post.

Bayonne, France

I'm arriving early for my Basque Country trip and have a full day in Bayonne. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do that won't be included in the tour? Thanks!

Posted by
551 posts

visit Saint jean du luz

Here is my pre-trip report

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/pre-trip-report-rs-best-of-basque-country-october-2022-saint-jean-du-luz

In Bayonne, The Basque Country RS tour visits the Basque museum, the cathedral and walks around the old town talking about Basque culture, symbols, political issues and history. The day tour covers most of what's necessary to see in Bayonne. Frankly, Bayonne is worth the one day. Visit Saint jean du luz on your one day. The RS tour doesn't go there.

Posted by
27137 posts

I don't know what the tour covers, but Bayonne has some museums that might be of interest, plus the rather large historic center to explore. There's a chocolate museum that's fun. It's not in the center of town, but a city bus gets within walking distance. The museum has displays explaining how chocolate is produced (in English as well as French), and it had a very generous tasting room included in the entry fee when I was there in 2019. Understand, this is not 100-euros-per-kilo chocolate, but it's good enough to be enjoyable. It would be all too easy to pig out.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your replies. You have given me some ideas.