Please sign in to post.

bayeux france

My husband and I are traveling to the Normandy American Cemetery in France this fall. Anyone have suggestions as to where to stay in the area? Anyone been to Bayeux France, we understand it is fairly close to the cemetery. Thanks, SUE

Posted by
27202 posts

Bayeux is possibly the very best place to stay if you are visiting invasion sites. It has a picturesque historic area, a good WWII museum, a cathedral worth visiting, and the Bayeux tapestry.

I know nothing about the parking situation in Bayeux. If you will have a car, you'll need to check on that. And with a car it would be possible for you to choose a more rural lodging place.

Posted by
18 posts

I agree that Bayeux is the perfect place to stay. Very pretty with the historic tapestry, gothic cathedral, lovely streets to wander, a “Le Petit Train” you can ride to tour the town, delicious crepes and hard cider (this area of France is known for its apples), a nice outdoor market and also, an interesting British cemetery with very poignant inscriptions. We stayed at the beautiful Hotel D’argouges right in town.

Posted by
39 posts

HOTEL REINE MATHILDE IN BAYEUX
Check it out. Stayed there 4 years ago. Great location. Bayeux is a great town. Lots to see and do. Are you going to see Mont St Michel? If so then stay on the Mont so you can enjoy before and after the day trippers.

Posted by
11203 posts

The historic Hotel Lyon d’Or has parking in it’s front courtyard. Walking distance to Bayeux Tapestry, 1066.
Family owned for many generations . Churchill and Eisenhower stayed there. They were very helpful in tracing my father’s units’ battle locations.
The dining room is superb.

Posted by
11352 posts

We were in Bayeux for a week in April. It is a delightful small city and very walkable. We took guided tour with Normandy Sightseeing Tours of the D-Day sites including the American cemetery. Not sure if you can get there by public transport but easy enough with a car as well. Don’t miss Arromanches, just a hop away from Bayeux, unique and historically significant.

We had a lovely apartment with parking. LMK if you want info on that.

Posted by
1175 posts

There is a forum specifically for Bayeux on Tripadvisor.com. Lots of great advice on hotels, dining, tours, B&B's, etc.

Posted by
13 posts

hi Laurel,

we would love the info on the apartment in Bayeux, thanks for the offer and info. SUE

Posted by
782 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Churchill in Bayeux and it is full of WWII memoribilia and about 300 Feet from the D Day mini van pickup Point for the Tours.The Tapestery Museum is three Blocks from the hotel.If you are considering a D Day tour Look at Overlord Tours, they do a Great Job and you can read reviews on the hotel and Overlord on trip advisor.
Mike

Posted by
32219 posts

I agree with the others that Bayeux is the perfect location to stay when visiting that area. The Churchill Hotel is very popular, and also convenient as many of the tours pick up in that general area. On my last visit, I stayed in a more basic two star hotel in Bayeux and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The owner was incredibly helpful.

You could check the RS France guidebook for other hotel listings.

I would highly recommend taking one of the excellent local tours as not only will they provide transportation, but you'll learn far more about the D-Day events with an expert guide than by yourself, so it will be a much more rewarding and memorable visit. Overlord Tour is very popular with many here and they have a variety of full and half-day tours. It would be a really good idea to pre-book the tour well in advance.

Posted by
7419 posts

We stayed in Bayeux while visiting the Normandy beaches area, and were at the American Cemetery for Taps at noon on July 4, 2008 - very moving. It was clear there were many non-Americans visiting there, too.

Our lodging was actually run by nuns - very simple, but affordable, and a parking spot was available. Not sure if they’re even running the lodging now. While in town, be sure to visit the Bayeux Tapestry museum - the “tapestry” hung in the town cathedral for a long time, but is now in a light-and-humidity controlled environment to preserve the fragile fabric.

They won’t be doing it in the fall, but in June they were setting up for a Medieval Fair - in a setting a bit more authentic than the Renaissance Fairs that go on in the USA in the summer.

Posted by
107 posts

I've stayed at Hotel Churchill in Bayeux a couple times. Great location.

Posted by
875 posts

Hotel Churchill is great. They have a nice hot breakfast buffet as well. They are only a parking lot’s walk away from where the Overlord van picked us up to begin our DDay tour. We were just a few blocks walk away from the tapestry.....and it is incredible....and the beautiful Bayeux Cathedral. Take a short walk to the well-kept and landscaped British cemetery there in Bayeux.....it is so interesting to walk its grounds if you are interested in DDay.
Another advantage is a nice self-serve laundromat just around the corner from the hotel and I remember a nice grocery store in the next block by the hotel.

Posted by
672 posts

Just took a National World War 2 Museum Tour of Normandy last month, and we stayed at the Hotel D'Argouges in Bayeux. It was very nice. Clean comfortable room, friendly staff, excellent breakfast spread, and a nice sitting area to enjoy drinks after a busy day of touring. Our group also had dinner one night at the Lion D'Or hotel's restaurant (which was excellent), and that hotel also looked very nice. Bayeux is considered to be among the best places to stay because it is about midway between Utah and Sword Beaches. Plus, it is a quiet, charming town with a beautiful cathedral, the famous Bayeux, Tapestry, a Museum of the Battle of Normandy, a Reporters Memorial near the museum which is dedicated to journalists worldwide who lost their lives covering events, and the largest WW2 British Commonwealth Cemetery in Normandy (some German soldiers are buried there also).

Posted by
45 posts

Just back from Bayeux and tours of the Normandy beaches. We stayed at Hotel d'Argouges and were quite pleased. The town is small and very walk-able. Hotel d'Argouges is about a 10 minute walk from the Overlord Tours pick-up spot (who we took a full day tour from), about 5 minutes from the cathedral and tapestry. All very good.