Please sign in to post.

Batobus in Paris.

Hi all,

My family and I will be in Paris for 5 nights in mid June. We will be staying in the 9th Arr.Would love to leave everything unplanned and play it by ear, but just had a few questions
- The batobus has 2 day passes - does anyone have experience with this. I like the sound of travelling to some of the places such as Eiffel tower on the boat. Even just jumping on and off for the views sound good - any experience or thoughts?
I am hesitant to buy tickets for the tower beforehand as it would be nice to decide the night before based on weather reports, but my husband hates queues with a passion (I know , I know, we are in Paris in June - take a teaspoon of cement) - Is a time of the day better - first thing in the morning vs middle of the day vs afternoon/evening?
-Also is there a website for the paris metro? On google maps looks like there is a metro stop every metre!! - would be good to look into it before I arrive to work out how hard it is going to be to travel to main tourist sites.
- one last question - I know this is a bit cliché but my 10 year old daughter is learning French at school and is determined to try Escargot whilst in France. Is this the sort of dish that is in a lot of restaurants (or just American movies)??

thanks for any advice

Posted by
10344 posts

Do you have a Paris guidebook? For example, Rick's guidebook explains in detail about many of the things you're asking about.

And oh yeah, you'll definitely be able to find escargot in Paris! Many Paris restaurants have menus online and they also have the menu posted outside the restaurant--so you'll be able to determine where to get those snails.
IMHO, escargot is good, you and H should try it, too. But be warned, in some (or most) presentations of it they bring them out in the shells and you have to dig the snail meat out of the shell--so it's real obvious what you're eating. But much better than it sounds.

There are Metro stops throughout Paris. But you'll still have to walk.
Be especially careful when crossing streets in Paris, Paris drivers have a different attitude about things like zebra crossings and some apparently consider pedestrians fair game. Assume you as a pedestrian don't have the right of way.

Posted by
784 posts

There are "Behind the scenes" tours of the Eiffel Tower that gets you a ticket without having to wait in line, but you do have to pre-book. A google search will provide more information. IMO, if it is cloudy or rainy you probably don't want to go up there and can better spend your time elsewhere.

The Batobus might be fun once, but probably not more than that. There are other faster ways to get around, either on foot or by Metro. You can buy a couple of "carnets" of 10 tickets that are good for Metro and buses, and you can share the tickets. If you run out, just buy another carnet. They can be purchased at Metro stations as well as at some Tabacs.

Personally, I love escargo, but I recognize that what makes it good and edible is the butter, garlic, and parsley. You get to soak up all that buttery goodness with your baguette. Yummy.

Posted by
10344 posts

I recommend one of the boat tours that go in the evening so that you can see the sunset around the Eiffel Tower part of the river, then they double back and pass Notre Dame after the sun has set, so that you can see the lighted facade of the cathedral.
Note that in June the sunset will be sometime between 9 and 10pm.

Posted by
206 posts

Thank you for all the replies so far. Yes, I do have a guidebook (but am away for work and don't have it with me),

I have read quite a few people recommend the evening cruises - any suggestions on good or not so good companies? Can that be booked last minute or is it the sort of thing that would be booked out once we arrive?

Thanks again for all the help

Posted by
11507 posts

The evening cruises are easy to book as walk ups.. and they are all similar in quality.. depends on whether you want a live commentary or recorded.

Some are more open some are more closed in.

They all cost between 11-15 euros.

One company gives you a discount if you book ahead.. like 2 euros off or something.

Some start near the Eiffel Tower.. others closer to Notre Dame.. they all drop you off where you boarded, so its a round trip only.

Posted by
8045 posts

The Batobus is a pain. It is slow, often jammed pack and if you are stuck in the center under glass it is both hot and unpleasant and provides no view. It is lousy transportation. To enjoy the city from water a cruise is much better and I think better at night as being down in the ditch is less scenic in the daytime than at night with the city lit up.

Escargot is not as common as movies would have it, but it is not hard to find either. All restaurants post their menus, so you can scan menus to find it. I know that the Grand Colbert has it on its menu as we lunched their with a friend who ordered it. The room is lovely; the food is okay; it is where the Nicholson/Keaton/Reeves movie 'Somethings Gotta Give' filmed its big scene.

The first time we took my daughter to France when she was also 10, our first meal was in Aix en Provence at a little outdoor terrace of a restaurant on a square. She had escargot, frog legs, and chocolate mousse. Frogs legs are harder to find in Paris than escargot, but it is fun especially for kids to try these things.

The other thing we made a production of is choosing pastries which we bought either for a snack in a nearby park or to take back to the apartment for after dinner. I remember my daughter finding little pink pastries that looked like pigs. I saw them on Rue Montorgueil last time we were in Paris.

Posted by
6497 posts

Paris by Train is a website covering the Metro, RER, and other rail options. There are lots of Metro stations, it's fast and easy to use, but sometimes you spend a lot of time walking through tunnels and up/down stairs especially when changing lines. Not a good idea if you have mobility issues. Buses are also a good way to go, though slower.

I like the Batobus as a low-cost alternative to the narrated cruises, but as Janet mentioned you're under a big plastic roof. On one trip we bought day tickets and shuttled between our favorite areas on our last day, to say goodbye. On another we bought one-time tickets and stayed on through several circuits as evening fell -- but, alas, the Batobus shuts down before it gets dark enough to appreciate the illuminated buildings and bridges. It's not really a good way to just get from point (pont?) A to B, unless you're going all the way from the ET to the botanical garden or such.

Escargot is good and shouldn't be hard to find. Maybe once per trip for me. Bravo for your daughter, and lucky you to have her there to translate for you! :-)