Please sign in to post.

Bathing suit?

Going on the Basque region tour that starts May 16. I see the packing list includes a bathing suit for a chance to was into the Atlantic. Is that a legit prospect in the second part of May?

Posted by
593 posts

Hmmm, I did the Basque tour in June a few years ago and our weather in San Sebastián was rainy and in the high 50s/low 60s. But you never know! It’s a great tour, enjoy!

Posted by
6508 posts

I guess some people might want to take a dip, but it wouldn’t be me. No Polar Bear Plunges for me.

Posted by
5508 posts

I was there on a RS trip in late May 2017 and the weather was beautiful. The beach in San Sebastian was packed, although there were very few people in the water. The water was quite cold (I’d estimate the water temp was about 60 degrees F). I did not swim and just waded in along the edge of the water.

Posted by
1764 posts

63.5 farenheit appears to be the May monthly average for nearshore sea temperatures in that region.

Even if it's up a degree or two by the end of the month that's still pretty cold for casual swimming. 3/2mm fullsuit for an hour surfing would be about standard.

Wouldn't seek it out, but I'd swim in trunks if a warm day. But i like cold water and love the sea. It would feel cold pretty quickly.

Average to cool weather and I'd pass on ocean swimming.

And I would pass on all accounts if I didn't have time for shower too, get that salt cleaned off so you're not itchy on the bus.

Posted by
862 posts

There were people swimming in Llanes, Asturias in March this year. It was unusually hot (30 degrees Celsius) but we saw multiple groups of people having a quick dip in the Bay of Biscay. Most people just stayed in for a couple of minutes but one older woman was swimming laps of the little beach Playa de El Sablon.

Posted by
62 posts

We will be joining you on the same tour beginning May 16. I noticed that the tour hotel in San Sebastián has a pool, so even if the thought of swimming in the ocean does not appeal to you, the pool just might.

Posted by
4037 posts

Indoor French pools sometimes require men to wear speedo-style suits rather than baggy American surfer outfits. The pool may also ask for bathing caps for everyone. I stress the "maybe" as requirements depend on the local authority.
(The small suits may be specified to avoid street shorts polluting the waters.)