Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day in Paris

This year Bastille Day falls on a Saturday. What can I expect will be closed for this holiday? Is public transportation on its regular schedule? Is it actually a big fete day?

Posted by
9 posts

We were in Paris three years ago on Bastille Day and the metro was open. Many of the businesses were closed but we had a lot of fun watching the parades and the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower.

Posted by
9436 posts

I’ve been in Paris on Bastile Day 10 + times, never saw any businesses closed because of it. Wouldn’t even know it’s Bastille day if you weren’t on the Champs Elysées for the morning military parade, or by the Eiffel Tower at night for the fireworks. In my experience, everything else was same as any other regular day.

Posted by
2466 posts

Some businesses close early for the fireworks, because they are too close to the Eiffel Tower.
There is a municipal military parade, starts around 10 AM. After that, there will be a concert and the fireworks, about 11:40 PM.
Public transportation will be disrupted, especially around the Eiffel Tower and the Champs-Elysees.
Other than that, there will be lots of things to do, if you avoid the aforementioned areas.
There is free transportation - but you might not want to fight the crowds. You'd better put on your baskets and walk.

Posted by
14780 posts

I was once in Paris on Bastille Day, the other times if in France at all, I was once in Metz, more often in Arras. The big parade starts at 10 AM and is shown on TV. I don't recall stores closing in Paris but in Metz and Arras stores were open in the morning, closed for the national holiday starting at noon.