Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day

I know this is a very broad topic, but wondering about tips on enjoying the festivities on Bastille Day. We are staying on the Rue Cler, so hoping to be reasonably near some fireworks, etc. Any ideas or recommendations?

Posted by
11507 posts

You will in fact be close to where the fireworks are.. on the Champs du Mars( park grass area right by the Eiffel Tower).

Fete Nationale ( locals do not refer to it as "Bastille Day" , its National day or simply the 14th) is celebrated by a huge military parade up the Champs Elysees in day ( morning I think.. I have never gone as it is very crowded ,,, and I am not really a parade person) ... and fireworks in evening. There is also an air show of sorts.. you can of course see that from all over paris.. military fly overs really..

The night before ( 13th) and some on the night of.. are the Firemen Balls. They are all over Paris and you simply pay a fee to join in a street party at a firehall.. there is food and drink available. The proceeds from these functions goes to fire halls.

I have been in Paris quite a few times on the 14th.. I often forget its the holiday most of the time ( as I avoid the Champs Elysees ususally.. and that's where the crowds from parade are) .. .Local families celebrate the holiday much like locals in States do on July 4th.. my French relatives that live outside paris have family and friends over for long lunches or barbeques.
In Paris many picnic.. and since the fireworks are popular you will see many locals with blankets and picnics settling onto the Champs du Mars early in the afternoon .. so they can get a spot.

You are lucky to be staying nearby.. you can walk over see fireworks then walk home.. those staying further afield will often walk home rather then brave the super clogged metro when fireworks are over.. thousands of people go to them.