Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day activities?

Our family (including three children ages 10, 12, and 13) will be enjoying a home exchange in Paris and happen to be there over Bastille day. Wondering if it's a dumb idea to take advantage of the free admission to the Louvre the afternoon/evening of Bastille Day but I can't find confirmation anywhere about the closing time on July 14, 2023 and the online site doesn't offer ticket times that day due to it being free. I'm ready to book tickets the day before but only afternoons are available and knowing us we'd love smaller crowds (as if that might be possible?). Secondly, wondering about a champagne cruise that night to watch the fireworks... is it worth it? Based on other travel forums the parade sounds like a lot of work so I was planning on having a relaxing morning at our accommodations and then taking in either the Rodin museum or the Louvre before a late dinner and the fireworks cruise. Any input is appreciated...

Posted by
1336 posts

Any "free" day at the Louvre promises to be complete and utter chaos. There will be balls put on by the fire fighters. The champagne cruise all depends on what you enjoy, I personally would just do a normal cruise.

Posted by
8049 posts

many years ago I mentioned to my husband that the Louvre was free on Bastille day but free days were chaos so avoid. He said 'tourists won't know its free and locals have better things to do on Bastille day' -- we went and it was quite tranquil. Not at all crowded. But now that it's free status is better known I'd probably not do it.

The fireman's balls are fun. we have attended a couple -- BYO, and dance in the streets -- I'm sure they vary in location, and welcoming of randos from outside the district.

Posted by
10188 posts

Note that the dances at the fire stations take place after dark on the 13th, not the 14th.

Posted by
4392 posts

Also keep in mind that this year, the festivities are likely to be interrupted by protestors at one time or another

Posted by
1137 posts

Just so you are aware, no one in France refers to it as "Bastille Day." That is really just an English-speaking country term. It is either referred to as "La Fête Nationale," "Fête nationale française," or simply by the date, "14 Juillet" ("Quatorze Juillet"). Enjoy.