Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day

Our Rick Steves Tour ends in Paris on Bastille Day. The three of us are considering staying an extra day or two to experience the holiday and to see Versailles. We are a little concerned about crowds and transportation that weekend, and about where to stay to facilitate the Bastille Day experience on Saturday, a day trip to Versailles on Sunday, tentatively followed by a flight to Barcelona out of CDG Airport on Monday. We have not made any arrangements for Paris or our flight to Barcelona as of now but hotel rooms are going fast. Is there a particular area of Paris that would be best in terms of our intentions? Our ending Rick Steves hotel is not an option. Do you have any experience with Bastille Day or Versailles that you could share? Is our plan too much for the time frame or for a holiday weekend?

Posted by
2466 posts

I'd suggest staying in the 11th or 12th arrondissements, which will be cheaper.
There are good connections by Metro and Bus, too.

The 14th Juillet is mainly made up of a military parade on the Champs-Elysees. If you don't care for that sort of thing, I would just go walking around Paris.

I would definitely not advise going to Versailles on Sunday - it will be very crowded, hot and uncomfortable.

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks, everyone! All of this information was helpful. We will see what we can of Versailles as early as possible on Saturday, and take in the fireworks and local activities that evening. We will have only three and a half days in Paris, including our tour time, but we will see enough to get a feel for it, and an idea of what to do when we return.
Anne