Please sign in to post.

Bastille day 2024

Hello! We're planning a trip to Europe in 2024 and we'll end up in Paris during Bastille day. It will be a Sunday. We're sort of excited but also trying to prepare a best itinerary around that. What we should avoid visiting that day and also wondering if the holiday would impact the following day (Monday)? We'll be there 4 nights July 12-16th. Louvre and Versailles are a must. I read some transit stations/closures are expected near the Eiffel tower and Champs Élysées. Thanks!

Posted by
4765 posts

And you'll be there right before the Olympics start, with the preparations is full swing. Good luck! Have a great trip!

Posted by
5 posts

Oooh I would also love to hear how Bastille Day 2024 will impact travel/sites in Paris and beyond (Provence). I will be there with my teen daughter and would love to know what we should expect. Thanks!

Posted by
1140 posts

Just to set expectations while there, the French do not refer to that day as "Bastille Day." That is a very American and English thing. It is referred to as "la Fête nationale" (the national day), or simply by the date: "le Quatorze Juillet"—just as we in the States often refer to our own independence day as simply "July 4th." I personally refer to it as my birthday.

Posted by
31 posts

Do note that the Bastille Day parade, usually on the Champs Elysées, this year because of the upcoming Olympics will not take place on Champs ELysées, but i believe in Vincennes, so outside of Paris.
Many museums are closed that day, and a lot of shops closed, so plan for things outside : Montmartre, or other neighbouhoods.
Boat companies should still ride the 1-hour cruises, unless there is a security closure due to the Olympic preparation