Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day 2019

I'm requesting advice on a special Bastille Day celebration to end my Rick Steves "Best of Paris in 7 Days Tour" with family. I've heard the dinner cruises food was not that good. Any ideas to include fireworks?

Thanks

Posted by
1674 posts

In 2014 I was in Paris on Bastille Day. Head to the Eiffel Tower. That is where the fireworks are exhibited. Several hundred thousand were there. It was a great memorable event. Don't miss it. Take a picnic dinner and join the Parisians.

Posted by
26 posts

I was at the Eiffel Tower on Bastille Day, 2016. It was wonderful. Symphony playing and fireworks coming out of the Eiffel Tower. Go early and take a sack dinner to get a good spot on the law!

Posted by
196 posts

I, too, was in Paris in July, 2016 for Bastille Day (Fete Nationale). By mid-afternoon, the Champ de Mars was jammed & long story short, went to an Asian restaurant for take-out on the rue Cler, got a couple bottles of wine & my friends & I ended up on the Pont de l'Alma with a great view down the Seine towards the Tower. Agree with other posters-let's picnic! Got there about dinner time just as the bridge was closed to traffic & seated ourselves right against the rail (allowed us to spread out a little to eat). Crowded but people could still move on the bridge. Remember, sunset isn't until about 10:30 p.m. at that time of year & fireworks start a little later than that. What I thought was interesting is the police closed off Av. de New York from Alma to Trocadero to pedestrians & traffic so no viewing from there. Bonne fete!

Posted by
27163 posts

I believe I remember a comment from someone who spent part of Bastille Day in the Louvre (which was free on the day, at least that particular year) and found it quite uncrowded. I cannot swear to this, however; my memory is almost 67 years old.

Posted by
1674 posts

Acraven,

Good memory. I did post that awhile ago on another Bastille Post. We accidentally discovered the Louvre open for free on Bastille Day in 2014. We arrived around 2:30 and was able to see many of the top works of art before closing and it was not too crowded. I remember being told later that many museums are open for free on that day. jajsu you should check out which museums are open for free before you go.