Please sign in to post.

Basel to Paris

My wife and I will be taking a train from Basel to Paris in early June. We would like to know what towns, senery,etc. we can look forward to Thanks for your responses

Posted by
32745 posts

2 routes to choose from: TGV high speed (300 kph) via Dijon into Paris Gare de Lyon. Or TGV or TER to Mulhouse or Strasbourg and very high speed TGV into Paris Gare de l'Est.

Which is your ticket for?

BTW - at 300 kph you don't see a lot of detail, and when you see something you don't see it for long.

Posted by
8889 posts

The route from Basel to Paris is via Dijon. Some trains stop there. There is one train every 2 hours and it takes about 3½ hours.
It is mostly pleasant French countryside, seen from a distance and at speed. The only big towns you go through are Mulhouse and Dijon. The train slows going through Dijon station, even if it doesn't stop. After Dijon, for about ½ hour the train follows a river valley, which is fairly pretty with some old villages, houses etc. Then it regains the high speed line for the last section into Paris.

Nigel's route changang in Strasbourg is longer, and would not come up on any train booking site unless you put in 'via Strasbourg'.

Posted by
16893 posts

Neither of these routes is considered especially scenic by those who assign ratings, e.g., no mountains, lakes, or coastline. I would expect to see farmland and towns, but in general, the fast train skirts around most towns and makes very few stops. When you look up train schedules online through DB, it is possible to view the list of stops on the route.