Please sign in to post.

Barging in France

We will be on the My Way France Tour beginning September 18 and ending in Nice on September 30. After that we are driving to a vrbo rental in Saint-Remy de Provence where we will be centred for 4 days and then driving to a friend's home near Beaune (she won't be there) where we will be centred for 4 days.

I have been trying to find information on barging opportunities... Not the multiple day tour but something for a half-day or a day. I know that may not be possible given the time of year, but I'm having trouble finding anything online. It looked like so much fun on Rick's Burgundy programme!

Can anyone advise me?

Many thanks

Posted by
1056 posts

I don’t think you’ll find any places that offer barging for half a day, or even for s day. Most people sleep on a barge and use it as a hotel while traveling down the river.

Posted by
7025 posts

I've never heard of day barge trips, or 1/2 day, but you never know - they may be out there and someone will have info on them.

Posted by
408 posts

Chris,

Generally barges are rather expensive, multi-day (usually a week) experiences with, as you saw in that episode, sleeping facilities and dining provided.

However, Les Canalous provide half-day or one (or more) day boat rentals if you wish to pilot a boat yourself. These are "sans permis," which means you don't need to possess any kind of specialized license to rent them. They offer half-day or daily rentals from their facilities in three cities, one of them (Digoin) in Bourgogne.

If you want to just ride a boat on a canal with someone else doing the piloting, there are fewer opportunities that I'm aware of (unless you want to approach someone with a boat tied up at a "halte nautique" and offer them a few hundred euros to sail around with your for a couple of hours).

One option is, again, in Digoin. I believe it's run by Les Canalous, but it's marketed as Croisière-Digoin. Located about 90 minutes by car southwest of Beaune, they offer trips for an hour or so or ones with catered lunch or dinner periodically. See here for their schedule and contact information.

Digoin is an old industrial city that lies near several canals, including the generally east-west Canal du centre, which was the original division during WWII between occupied France to the north and Vichy France to the south, the Canal de Roanne à Digoin, which heads south to Roanne, and the Canal latéral à la Loire. One interesting aspect of that canal is it crosses over the Loire River on the Pont-Canal du Digoin (bridge canal), built in the early 1800s. It was built to allow commercial boat and barge traffic to carry goods over the Loire River.

When we first moved to Bourgogne, we didn't know the post-canal even existed. My wife and I were having a picnic lunch along the Loire and we could see what we assumed was just a normal bridge maybe 1,000 feet away. As I munched on my baguette sandwich, I saw what looked like a boat crossing the bridge over the Loire. I assumed it was on a trailer being hauled by a truck, but when it got to the same side of the river we were on, I saw no truck or trailer. We decided to walk over to see what it was, and that's when we learned about this somewhat unusual feature. There are several in France and probably elsewhere, but it was the first time I'd seen one.

Posted by
99 posts

Thank you for the detailed response, Bob. That sounds promising, and I will follow it up.

Posted by
99 posts

For those who were so kind to provide responses and suggestions, we did get to enjoy a lovely 90 minute canal barge cruise out of Digoin yesterday afternoon. It was unseasonably warm, hot even, and inditions were perfect for us to enjoy the experience. I certainly recommend it.

Many thanks,

Chris